Thursday, February 11, 2010

Do's and Don'ts of Summer Travel

As Spring and Summer will arrive eventually (though with the constant snow- it’s quite difficult to imagine)… there are many out there who dream of heading over to Europe to explore in the next few months. I would like to leave all of you with a list of Do’s and Don’ts to think about as you prepare for your summer travels. Now some you would think this list is obvious… but they are not apparently- because I have seen them all done.

Do plan ahead. I know, mind blowing advice! It might not be quite the fun adventure you would dream of but trust me… you will be much happier if you do. I don’t understand the concept of people showing up in Europe with no plan, hotel reservations, or clue what to do. I am a girl who likes spontaneity- but I am also a girl who likes to sleep in a bed at night and not on a park bench. You never travel anywhere in the U.S. without having a place to stay, so why would you show up in a Foreign country where you can’t speak the language to find a cheap hostel or hotel that is probably already booked. If you are loaded this is easier but traveling on a dime, not so much. Booking is easy and can be done a few days in advance, if you don’t want to book months ahead, that’s fine, just make sure you have a place to drop your stuff before you next arrival destination. Seriously even just 24 hours in advance- works miracles.



Don’t abuse the power of a friend’s friend. If a friend passes you off to a friend who lives in a place you want to visit and the friend’s friend agrees to let you come and stay, Great! But… if they give you any reasons why you can’t, don’t show up at their door step. Not quite, so cool, to do. Free is great, but not if it’s coming at the expense of someone you don’t even know. I don’t think you’ll be making friends with your friends friend. Never let leaving cheap come at the expense of someone else. Plus if you do it right, they’ll likely treat you better and maybe even help you find someone or place wherever your next destination maybe. But Do ask, Cause they most likely will say yes and show you some of the best places you would miss on your own.

Do know the power of a Back Pack- If you are staying in one place, go for the roller suitcase, Awesome! But if you will be going from place to place, riding loads of trains, and going where the day leads you, Use a Back Pack. Europe is filled with cobble stones, stairs, and platforms to which you will be grateful to have a bag on your back rather than a bag to roll, trip around your dream vacay. Trust me when I say, it is not fun carry your massive bag up the never ending flights of stairs. I always feel so bad for those I see who make this mistake in the metros here.



Do take pictures. But don’t ask anyone who doesn’t look like they have a clue about what’s going on in the world. People always ask the first person they see walking by. Which is fine… if you don’t mind having the monument in the background and your head cropped out of the photo. If you don’t mind this scenario, then you made the perfect choice. Look for someone you think would have a decent idea on how to take a picture. You don’t have to do this, but they are your memories. Just thank goodness for digital cameras. I cringe at thinking off all the pictures people in the “film” days paid for to be printed, only to try and decipher what the picture taken was actually all about.



Do Picnic! Some of the best experiences you will have is throwing down a towel or blanket or heck go crazy and sit right down on the ground, and buying local goodies. This is the cheapest way to eat- and the best to fully experience the area. Restaurants tend to be pretty pricy comparatively, so for lunch lounge, enjoy, and then you have a bit extra to spend in the evenings.

This could also be used as someone could have gotten both us and the Tower but failed, just as we failed to ask the right person.


If it’s warm weather and you are a girl do wear tank tops, but if you plan on visiting old churches, Do bring a scarf or something to wrap around your barred shoulders- Cause you Don't want to have to wear this. Not quite so cute.



Do have a guide book- they are helpful in finding all the major spots you want to see. But don’t just stick to the book. If you wanted a LonelyPlanet, Frodors, or RickSteeves experience- I am sure they have great selections. But don’t limit yourself. A guide book is exactly that- A Guide. Do talk to locals, and find great places of your own. Make the experience yours, invent it, live it, and them remember all of YOUR great finds, that were assisted by your guide book of choice.



That’s all I have for you for now. I am sure I will think of some others as the snow melts away and the spring flowers begin to bloom. And man am I excited for that day! I also look forward to the turistos and turistas who will come to visit me soon.

This prompt was inspired by MamaKats writers workshop. Want to see others go HERE.

4 comments:

Caren said...

That's a really great list! I found you on Mama Kat's blog and I too did the do and don't list although mine is much different.

That cover-up thing is very medicinal looking. I had no idea that you'd have to wear that if your shoulders were showing. It was something I'd never thought of so thanks for the tip, here's to hoping I'll get to use it someday!

Lourie said...

Love this post! And I can only say wow to the picnic picture!

Stopping by from Mama Kat's workshop.

erica said...

Ahh... this post reminded me of my own travels in Europe. Looks like you had a fabulous time!

To be back in Paris wearing tank tops and scarves... ooh la la!

Cyndy Bush said...

Love your list. I especially love the picnicking idea!