Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy Crepe Day

Now you American's reading this today I am sure are anxiously waiting to see if the groundhog will stick his wee lil head out of the hole to know the predictions of the remaining winter season. However, here in France February second is National Crepe Day! Or more appropriately called La Chandeleur.

I love that this country has a day dedicated to a meal! Even better that it is the Crepe, because I have come to love Crepes. However, before we get to the food, I’ll give you a sentence or two of the history. The origin of this holiday comes from the Catholic Church. February 2nd commemorates 40 days after the birth of Jesus, and apparently after 40 days, Jesus was presented to the community. And some how batter and egg, or batter and Chocolate- is a good representation of that presentation. Amen!

There are two other “traditions” that cling to the traditions of “The day of the Crepes.”

The first would be a bit of fortune giving. When preparing the crepes, you are supposed to hold a coin in your writing hand, and with the other attempt to flip the crepe in the pan. If you are like me, you would have a mess of batter splattered all over your clothes. But if you are like Julia Child you are able to perfectly flip the Crepe meaning you will be prosperous in the year ahead.

The second tradition falls a bit more along the lines of Groundhog’s day and has the following poem:

À la Chandeleur, l'hiver cesse ou reprend vigueur
On Crepe Day, winter ends or strengthens

À la Chandeleur, le jour croît de deux heures
On Crepe Day, the day grows by two hours

Chandeleur couverte, quarante jours de perte
Crepe Day covered (in snow), forty days lost

Rosée à la Chandeleur, hiver à sa dernière heure
Dew on Crepe day, winter at its final hour

Considering that it snowed AGAIN yesterday, I am thinking we just lost 40 more days according to traditional the stated poem above.

So in case you are wondering, What the heck is a Crepe? Let me tell you. A crepe is made from a thin pancakeesque batter poured into a frying pan and evenly distributed to cover the entire surface. After a moment or two on each side you will have a thin, delicate, and delicious crepe.

When most touristos and touristas appear in Paris, they want a Crepe. But, not just any type of crepe a Nutella Crepe. They are oh so delicious and oh so rich. I can just see the open potential for a "Got Milk" campaign. These crepes are usually wrapped in a triangle and enjoyed as you stroll along the streets of Paris.

Nutella. Yum!


There is another type of Crepe- but it's not called a crepe it's called a Galette. Galettes are still a thin pancakeesque batter, but made with salt and a bit thicker of a base to hold greater contents. Galette's are typically filled with savory flavors rather than sweet food. My favorite is the typical Egg, cheese, and ham, but if that’s too breakfasty to you at lunch or dinner, they can be filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, veggies and sauces.

A Galette Complete- Egg, Ham, and Cheese.


Galettes and Crepe’s alike came from the Western Region of Bretagne, where they are typically served with Cider. Cider can either be Brut or Deux. The deux is my preference because it is a bit sweeter and tastes almost like Apple Cider that is served to the Kiddos on Thanksgiving and Christmas day.
The Bretagne Flag


So while you are watching for the groundhog to poke his head out of the hole, think about whipping up a batter and making yourself a traditional French crepe and celebrate the Frenchie way!

8 comments:

Miss Angie said...

Oh I Love crepes soooooo much... My roommate will be making them for his students next week (He's a french teacher) and I plan to comendere a few of them... hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Great blog - I'm going home & having some nutella!!! yum!
love you & welcome back!
mom

Emily Catherine said...

I miss France and I miss you!

Unknown said...

Well I must say, I love Crepe day... Being it's also Groundhog's day... What a wonderful day! And yes Punxsutawney Phil did see his shawdow. To concur with "Crepe day covered, forty days lost" Oh well, it seems we always get a longer winter. :) Miss you!

Tracy McPike said...

Wow, we had Nutella Crepes last night (02/02) for Aunt Debbie's birthday up at Barona! They are YUMMY!! Oh and the Groudhog saw his shadow over here...so 6 more wks of winter for us too! Love you

Unknown said...

merci katie for representing so well my region and les crêpes et galettes!!:-)bisous

Miss Angie said...

Bonjour Katie! I left you an award over at my blog!

http://agofish.blogspot.com/2010/02/little-ray-of-sunshine.html

Valerie said...

hey Katie! i'm French and la fête des crêpes is by far one of my favourite :) my father used to cook for the whole family and it was just so perfect everytime. such a good memory. now i'm living in England and I can't believe I missed that day :(

okay next year i promise i'll eat a double dose of crepes!