Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bye Bye Tabs

In the last few days- something quite resourceful disappeared off of my computer. When on the internet, I could click on a new tab, and my “most visited sites” would pop up and I could click, click, click away through my top sites to see if anything interesting at that moment was happening.



Within a minute I could browse through Facebook, Gmail, Blogger, NY Times, and whatever handy dandy site I decide to spend my internet life upon. But, oddly the last few days when I would click on my new tab to zip through my fave sites, the options were missing and I would (GASP!)… wait for it… wait for it…

I would have to click in the browser bar and Type (yes type!) my web address destination, All. By. Myself.

Phew! Tough I know. I don’t know how I have managed but… somehow I am making it. Unfortunately… not all are being as successful in typing up their own websites and are quite enraged by this change. I thought my computer was doing something different, but after researching how to turn it back on, I learned that google removed this feature and it is no longer an option.

After discovering this, there was then a huge long thread of lots of internet based yelling. You know the whole, all caps all bold font. It’s quite intimidating. Anyways, These bold font bulliers are livid. Yes literally livid that their Google tab bar has been removed and they are distraught on how in the world they are expected to access their favorite websites without it.

I loved this option, and really do hope that it’s reinstated. But… it is not something I will waste a day mumbling and grumbling over how ghastly it is, that it’s now gone. (Instead, I will just write a blog about those grumblers. Ha!) One person complained that now when their boss comes in looking for information they can’t just click on their tab and pull it up. They are clueless on how in the world they will function on the internet any longer. In these cases- I laugh and think, “Yah right.” Most studies show that employees are on the internet much more on non- work related items, than on work related sites. So actually… the removal of this tool, might, just might save you your job. Rather than your boss seeing you spend your time on Facebook, Twiter, and crybabies.com, you can save face and (deep breaths again) Type it in yourself. Scary I know!

I actually don’t think this is the end of the tab favorites, especially after all of the slack google is getting from this change. But seriously, we all survived before the favorites tab existed, I think we can survive now. We are just typing it back old school style before 2009. The only question that remains is, How did we ever survive before this time???

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is so funny... I thought the same thing last week when I lost all my phone numbers out of my phone. "OMG, what am I gonna do" All I did was laugh... What are you gonna do? Back up your numbers or start to memorize everyones number again!!! :0)