Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reunited Dream

I just spent an amazing week with my friends. All in all it was pretty mellow – but I think I was simply calmed by having their presence around once again, and overwhelmed knowing that in a few short days it was going to all be like a perfect dream. Magical while it is taking place, but then a suddenly re-awakened into reality, and desperately trying to go back to sleep, to get back to the moments of random blissful happiness.

Initially having my BFF’s with me in a foreign land was exciting, surreal, and a time of adjustment for us all. For me it was a question of, How do I combine my foreign life abroad to my familiar life from home? I wanted to just take off right from where we left off, but while it felt like no time had passed, it was also evident to me how much I have changed, but also reinforced how much having them around- felt to right to who I am.

I was grateful to share my life with them- for them to visually be able to understand all that I try to explain inadequately on the phone, blogs, or email- and to observe them experiencing it all for themselves. I enjoyed seeing what parts they could skip on the next time around, and what parts they took pure delight in and could spend their entire week alone doing. I liked the times we were just lounging around, taking them to places I knew they would enjoy, or experiencing something new for the first time… Together.

I logically knew that taking them to the airport would be difficult but I did realize how hard it actually would be. If only I could have sabotaged their security checks without having them arrested- but elongate the time I could have them around. When it came time to send them off towards security and we hugged goodbye the tears couldn’t be held back in knowing I would be letting the best part of me leave once again. Leaving the U.S. there was so much excitement, anticipation, and promise of what is up ahead. But having my friends here, leaving me (rather than the other way around) made those realities difficult to see.

For one week I had my cake and was able to eat it too (or lots of Macaroons). I was able to enjoy the life I have here in France, with my best friends, being able to share with them a part of who I have become, and the place that has changed me for forever.

I love my friends, and I hope that our next time of being reunited, will not be far off in the distance, and will be for an even greater length in time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lucky to have such good friends. Keep them close forever!

ashly said...

i finally had a whole blog. who knew i just needed to fly to you! should have done it sooner!! love you and miss you and had the best trip ever!!!!