Friday, April 30, 2010

Call Depan!

Finders Keepers was my mom’s rule when it came to doing laundry in my house growing up. If she did the laundry and spare change (or 20’s) came out of the pockets, they were hers for the keeping. But she also nagged continually reminded me to take anything out of my pockets before putting them in the hamper.

This week my washing machine broke. Well not broke per say… more like, stopped working as it is supposed to. To me it was just another saga in the things that I get to learn how to fix. And that if I didn’t live in a foreign I most likely would never have to learn. (Mainly because I would have my dad come and fix it.) But alas, I pulled out my machine. Asked everyone I knew if they knew how to fix washer machines and tried to fix it myself. Of course I failed. But could probably answer any questions you have about a washing machine.



Using my problem solving skills I did narrow down that the machine itself actually works. There was simply a problem with the water draining. If I put the pipe on the ground it would drain, but as soon as I would elevate the tube- the water would not drain as it once before had, and my load of laundry would be stuck in 4 day old water. Ick. I diagnosed that the problem was

1. Either something was blocking the water pump

Or

2. My water pump was broken.

Yesterday I finally surrendered to trying to solve the problem myself and called a repair man. Expecting to be told that he will come in three weeks, have him arrive, tell me it’s broke, come back three weeks later, and then bill me for more than my machine is worth. To my great surprise the exact opposite happened. I called the repair man, and he set up an appointment for the next day. I then kept praying, “Lord- please let it be quick, easy, and cheap!”
My repair guy showed up and looked at my machine and told me as I suspected that my water pump was clogged not broken (whoo hoo #1). He then tipped my machine over, unscrewed my water pump (one thing I didn’t take apart) and then pulled out a
BOBBY PIN!!!!!!




Somewhere along the line of bobby pins I have lying all around- one ended up stuck in my water pump- thus blocking the pump from doing it’s job of pumping water through the tube and into my sink. He then placed the machine back on the ground- turned on the rinse cycle and demonstrated the beautiful flow of water (whoo hoo # 53920343) I was ecstatic! You would have thought I struck oil the cheers that burst through me as the water once again flooded my sink as intended. To me it was like watching Old Faithful burst through the ground as I “eww and ahhhed” at its splendor.



I was utterly impressed that in less than 24 hours this problem was solved. This is a first in my French experience. I will recommend him forever- and for everything! Broken washing machine? Call Depan! Broken vacuum? Call Depan! Broken stove? Call Depan! Sick Cat? Call Depan! Bad Baguette? Call Depan! I have no clue if he does anything other than washing machines- but I’ll recommend him anyways. Maybe he can extend his business. I think I will just make "Call Depan!" my new campaign.

In the end, I got exactly what I had asked for- quick, easy, and almost cheap. My .01 cent bobby pin cost me sixty Euros- but better than a whole new machine or something more expensive. And my mom will finally get what she asked for: Me cleaning out my pockets before I place them in the hamper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! very funny! I use to get some really good money out of you when you lived here and I did your wash!!!
love you,
mom

Unknown said...

I love the "finders keepers rule". Works at my house too. The only thing about loosing things in the washing machine, is usully it's "SOCKS". I can never find a matching pair once they have gone through the washing machine! Ugggg Have a great day!
xoxoxo

ashly said...

katie, you just let me know when and where, and i will wash your clothes (only if you leave money in them). i will wash yours more than i was mine!!

Emily Catherine said...

Can you believe that exactly one year ago I was heading towards you, my french adventures yet to have begun? I'm amazed that it's not only over, but has been for months. A new group of Americans are on their way over there, their turn to brave Disney Paris.

In honor of this anniversary, I was looking over my blog postings from the day I left, my first few months. Seeing your name in those blogs reminds me of what a light you were during some pretty dark times!

Miss you!