Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Musical Hotel Rooms

It’s 10:30 at night. It’s been a long day. A day of running around, up and down. Jenny needs this. Mike needs that. Can I get 15 copies of this? Did you get my email? Is the coffee Break ready? Do you know where I can get internet?

- Yes
- No
- Yes
- Yes
- Wait on sec
- No

On the go since 7:00 am. Keep up the pace- you need to be in two places at once. But it’s that glorious time of the day when I can escape from the conference and retreat to my room. No questions. Even better- No required answers. Just a bed ready for me to close my eyes and drift to sleep.

I change into my comfy pajamas, crawl under the fresh clean sheets, of the perfectly fitted and made bed. I rest my head on my pillow and sigh and deep breath of relief and relaxation. Ahhhhh a completed day- no more needs to meet for the day. Slowly drifting into a peaceful sleep…

RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG


Unrested me: “Uh- hello?”

Reception Desk: “Um, Yes Miss Hickey- sorry to disturb you, but so and so just arrived, and when they went to their room there was someone else in there.”

Unrested Me: “Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay…….”

Reception Desk: “Where would you like me to put them?”

Unrested Me: “Outside” “Um… let me check… “
(reaching for computer- bright light shining in eyes as adjusting back from the darkness- looking through spreadsheets desperately searching for a quick fix- to quickly get back to sleep)

Unrested Me:“ Can they room with what’s their names in 211?”

Reception Desk: “ Well it looks like they also switched rooms…”

Unrested Me: (long pause) Do I need to come down?”

Reception Desk: “Yes - that might be a good idea.”

CLICK.

Humph!

30 minutes later and lots of unregistered room adjustments later- I am headed back to my room and my bed. This has been the story of my last 2 nights.

My biggest fear at the moment is that with two more people arriving today- my night will once again end this way. Me relaxing in bed- to be jolted by a ringing phone and required to figure out where the “Hotel- Musical Chairs Room” switching has landed and trying to get people into beds- so they can sleep before me.

Bonne Nuit!

This has been part of Mamakat's workshop. To participate go here.

5 comments:

cheri said...

wow, i suddenly felt tired after reading that. you could use a nice long massage...

visiting from mama kat's :)

Dumb Mom said...

Sleep deprivation is my least favorite thing. I'm a monster without sleep. Well, I'm sort of a monster with sleep too, but without it I'm MUCH worse!

Unknown said...

Oh no! That is the worst! I hope that it doesn't happen again tonight!

Miss Angie said...

Sorry! Hope you get some good rest soon!

Stef said...

Oh man! That just isn't right. Just unplug the phone...then you won't have to worry about it...unless they come pounding on your door. Okay, leave the phone plugged in but answer in a different language. That would be funny!