Thursday, September 10, 2009

Concidences... Probably not (part 2)

The whole reason I wrote yesterday’s post was because I actually wanted to write this, but couldn’t without first going on and on about my love and adoration for the family. Anyone who knows me personally is bound to hear me talk about the Stricklands at some point and time, I just can’t help it.

This morning I was reading 2nd Corinthians and thought what I read was perfect example to explain Jen journey and story. It says, “Blessed be God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ the Father of mercies and God of all comfort who comforts us, in all our affliction; so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort, with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” (2nd Corinthians 1: 3-4)

When Jen was younger, she was a model. She was a model here in Paris and all around Europe. Jen worked very hard at being perfect for all the right people at all the right times and that meant stuffing down all the internal emotions she had and being a perfect girl on the outside. Her body and face graced the pages of numerous campaign ads and the runways in Milan- yet Jen still searched for true happiness and meaning because the modeling industry continued to leave her hollow and empty.



Through her journey over in Europe as a model, Jen eventually had found refuge in Christ and left the modeling industry. Thinking about Jen’s testimony, I think back to who Jen must have been at that time she left her career. Even with all the horrible situations she had been in and how much she hated what she had to be, I can’t imagine it being easy to leave, all that you had known to be.

When I first saw and met Jen, I thought she was beautiful but never knew she was a model. In fact, I believe it wasn’t until I had known Jen for over a year that it was ever brought up she worked in the industry- let alone how much actually went on during her career. Over the years I have watched Jen go from someone who didn’t want others to know her identity as a model, transform into someone who wants to share her story, of finding true beauty, with those who are looking for it today. Jen more than anyone, knows the quest of obtaining the perfect look and never being satisfied or enough. When at the peak of her career, she says it took the most to be seen as perfect, when inside she felt the most deprived inside.

I remember the day when I was sitting at Jen’s counter and she mentioned she would like to write a book about her story and reach out to young girls. The tone she used when she revealed this dream was soft, visionary, and hopeful. Over time, Jen’s dream of writing a book became a conviction of something she must do to share truth with this generation of girls. I was able witness the transformation of someone taking their pain and using it for something positive.

One year ago- Jen’s dream came true. I was able to walk into my local Barnes and Nobles and pick “Girl Perfect” up off the shelf just like all the other books carried in their stores. I bought the book with pride and joy already fully knowing each story that lied inside; but inspired by what this book represented. This wasn’t a book where I would be surprised by what was written but one that I would want to share with everyone.

I talked a lot yesterday about how the more and more I think of the special relationship I have been given with the Stricklands, I see there are too many coincidences for it to be incidental. I never EVER expected me to live in France. Ever. But here I am. I walk around Paris and often think of Jen. I think of how different her experience here, differs from mine (for one I get to eat all the yummy bread and cheese). I see Jen here in Paris. Not the Jen I know but all the girls who represent who Jen was, when she lived here. Each of the models identify with the story Jen tells today- each one of them runs around from one casting to the next- dreaming to reach the next level of commercial perfection.

When I see the models around Paris I smile knowing that I have the burden of proof that this is not where their identity lies. I carry Jen’s story with me, knowing the tales of who she was then and what it all was like for her and knowing the beautiful person she is today. When I know I am going in the area of the Champs Elysees, close to where Jen and many models live, I take a copy of Jen’s book with me. As I walk along the grand boulevard I look for an opportunity to leave behind one of Jen’s books. I walk away knowing that it’s just too perfect for me to have been sent to Paris a year after her book was published, for her story to not be shared here, where it started to take place. I know her book will be picked up by a girl who will see herself in the pages of Jen’s story. It will be some girl’s internal mirror, giving the reflection of pain while planting the seed of a realistic hope.

(For more information about Jen you can go to her website Here. Where you can also purchase her book “Girl Perfect,” and learn more about her journey and where she found true beauty comes from.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this! And I love Jen and her book - she is so real - a great book for young women who have self image issues....
love you - mom