Thursday, July 30, 2009

I just don't know



I have often considered this topic to blog about in the past, but rather than blogging about it, I have continued to process over and over again in my mind- maybe writing it out today, thanks to this weeks writer's prompt by Mama's Losin' It, will help me. Help in what you might ask? Help me in deciding what to do when I leave Paris?

Gasp! Yes this adventure is (at this time) not a life time commitment and I fully plan on returning to my home when I leave here. Now I know what you may be thinking, “Katie, you are not returning until next June, why are you thinking about that now?” But, that is exactly why I am thinking about it now! June is not that far away… and whatever my next step is, I want to be sure I head in the right direction.

So here are a few options I have come up with and cannot decide. I would love comments from you readers, on what you think I should do next! (and friends I know your biases on some of these topics but your opinions do matter the most :) )

First- The most contemplated decision I continue to go back and forth with, is whether or not I should go back to school to get and M.B.A. I have also considered law school, but in the end think an M.B.A would be more befitting to me than a law degree. But I am not sure if an M.B.A right now is something I really want. I know that I eventually want one, but starting school next fall would require taking the GMAT and taking the GMAT would require me to study now. Yuck. But I know that getting an M.B.A. now would be smart because then I would have it the rest of my life, rather than trying to take time out later. Or maybe once I have more experience it would be better to go back to school???

I just don’t know.

Second- Get a job. If I don’t go back to school then I obviously need to go and get a job. But what kind of job is the question. Do I want to find an international relations job? Do I want to work in hotel Management? Or event planning like I am doing now? Or do I want to have a job similar to one I had before I moved here? Before moving I knew I liked my job- but I think after I moved I appreciated it much more- or is it the grass is always greener thing? Another job option would be to stay and continue to work here in Paris. I love what I do here – but home is home.
Oh and now that I have found my love for writing… do I want to pursue this as an option?

I just don’t know.

Third- Then there is the issue of where to live? This is always a greatly divided issue. After high school my life became split between two places, San Diego and Orange County. My family and half of my friends live in San Diego and after college I moved back to San Diego and started developing my life there. But then the other half of my friends live in Orange County and it would be nice to live with them again as well. There are benefits to living in both places but I simply cannot decide. Not to mention that one of the M.B.A programs I have considered is in Texas- so that would really throw in another option if I ever make a decision about the M.B.A. program.

I just don’t know.

Ugh! I thought that writing all of this out would help- but it has only resurfaced the stress I feel. I need to go and take a walk and stop contemplating these things- and enjoy a rare and beautiful Paris Day. But they are all valid questions, and I need to start thinking about now- to know how to plan ahead for the future. You know… cause having a job and a place to live when you return to your home country, is a pretty important thing so I hear.

I just don’t know.

4 comments:

monica said...

Great questions and I hope you the best to make all the right decisions! Have fun! Stopping in from Writers Workshop!

ashly said...

i will love and support you no matter where you go or what you choose. i know that doesnt help, but im pretty biased.

Musings of the Mrs. said...

I get how you want to have a plan, but I am telling you now that every minute you spend thinking about next June is one minute you are not enjoying in Paris. You are having the opportunity of a lifetime right this minute. You can always get a job when you get back, take the test, go to school. Whatever you do, do not study for a test in Paris!

I know you will make the best decision for you, but that is my two cents.

nikirae18 said...

So..I think of this for myself EVERY darn DAY! and that homer pix is a crack up and perfect for this blog! Im thinking you and me should open up some event planning thing together we would be good at it..and if thats a disaster, become the great author you already are and I guess Ill go back to ''helping'' people! But I say no to school..haha How could you ever go back now..I know I would never get be able to get in school mode again! also, you wont have time for school..bc by next summer, you will be planning your wedding for you and the hot paris boy that comes home with you and then soon after be getting busy having friends for maddie to play with! haa!! so..thats MY plan for ya :) hope this helps! love you friend!!