Sunday, January 17, 2010

Curious Kate


I am always looking for the extraordinary. Looking for something outside of my zone- something beyond my reach. Curiosity has always been one of my best friends. So much so, that my nick-name as a child was Curious George. There is no person I see, that I don’t want to meet and know their story. There is no adventure that I do not want to attempt, no soil or land I do not want to touch. In life there is so much to explore and experience I get giddy thinking of all the possibilities that exist within our reach to venture.

In talking to a friend this week about my last two month spell of mishaps, bumps, and ruts of life, led me to the comment, “People say these things can happen to anyone- but they don’t just happen to anyone, they always inevitably happen to Katie Hickey. Why do I have to be Katie Hickey?” Meaning- whether in Cali, DC, Paris, or anywhere else in the world- why do I find myself in situations of despair and repair. Losing things is my forte. And finding them- is my fortuity. How I don’t lose my mind in the process is a miracle. Accidents, have become been a new addition for the last few weeks, and I desperately hope this is not now a pattern, but a slump of misfortunate occurrences. I am beginning to more and more understand the saying, “Curiosity killed the cat.”

After making the statement, “Why Katie Hickey? Why me?” I was quickly shot a thought of reality of how fortunate I am. Yes- Katie Hickey gets her fair share of floods, important documents M.I.A, and being a walking disaster. But these things are what come along with the other great things that Katie Hickey does have. I quickly realized that if I was not in such a position of fortune, of living my Curious George dreams, I wouldn’t have the problems associated with them.

A lost wallet would still be a lost wallet anywhere in the world and It will always be a hassle- but replaceable. A car crash- though probably easier to deal with in your native tongue, would still be scary and troublesome. If I wasn’t in France exploring, I would never of had this accident. I would never have had the opportunity to learn the lessons of snow- and how to and not to drive in it. The last time my driveway in California had snow on it was… Never. And will never. It would have been a missed opportunity to live and learn.

I am fortunate. My curiosity and love for the Lord and life has brought me to the crazy and simple life I live here in France. I love every moment of it. Yes, even the difficult ones. Because in each moment I am learning something new about France, God, and Myself. It’s an incredible journey and one that makes me thankful that I do get to be who Katie Hickey was created to be.

After being here in France for a year- my learning curve is not quite as steep as it was on day one. I am not fully overwhelmed with each and every new experience. Though, new experiences and lessons are always being learned. I am excited for the time ahead for France and me. For the time where I take what I have learned, and use my curiosity, to bring my current knowledge to a deeper more detailed and intimate level. I am excited to grow more comfortable with the French life and all the beauty they have to offer in the art of living a life at a Moins Vite ( slower) pace.

No Matter what happens from here, one thing is for sure, this chic cat will not be killed- nor will her curiosity surrender.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do have a great life Curious George! Love you!!!! mom