Saturday, January 9, 2010

Starting again

Yesterday I was so excited about today's arrival. The day I would wake up smiling at the survival of one year in France. The world would be my oyster.

I woke up refreshed. Oh, the possibilities the day beholds. I was going to spend the day with Mon Amie Annie, shopping (the big sales are happening) and dinner at night. I decided the best way to start the day would be with crossiants! (after all breakfast is the most important meal of the day)-

But then tradgedy hit. My biggest, scariest mistake that has happened since my arrival. It was a strange experience. It was like watching it from an out of body experience. Happening slow motion, but all too quickly to stop it from happening. A tragic ending was envitable. The Good news is I am safe, and okay. I have alot to fix and make better, but for as bad as this is, it's the best it could be.

Today, I didn't leave my apartment. I have been here all day cleaning up the mess. No shopping- just sweeping and pushing around heavy stuff then more sweeping. I was pretty distraught but I am keeping a positive attitude.

I am disappointed but I know it will be okay. I smiled a few times being able to take care of things on my own. I didn't need to wait for someone else to make calls for me. One of my biggest anxieties this year was being fully helpless. But today- when I made a mistakes, I was able to compose myself and start taking care the situation. I still need the help of others, but it is comforting to know I could at least make a start.

So... today wasn't the best way to start off again, but that's life- and that's my life of growing up here. I will smile, move forward, fix my mistakes, and do my best to keep forging ahead without being discouraged.

One day- i'll be able to say what exactly happened today- it will probably be on my blog of the biggest mistakes I have made while away- and what a long blog that will be. Might be the longest one I ever post! But - God is good, I am blessed, and tomorrow is a new day. (Hopefully a day without any mishaps!)

3 comments:

Tracy McPike said...

Too much suspense! I can't take it! Glad you're okay though. One year, time flies...love you bunches and miss you, Aunt Tracy :>)

Emily Catherine said...

Hey Katie!
I am home.
It is surreal. There is no other word to describe it.

We had a tough day too. About a half hour before we were meant to leave this morning, some of my guy American friends had six french guys come into their apartment, beat them up, and take their computers, phones, and some other things.
Roman and I were there about five minutes afterwards, we happened to walk past on our way back from taking out a bunch of trash. It was tragic to see my friend Shayne covered in blood and my friend Scott distraught after being threatened and hurt. Scott was the only guy in the apartment meant to come home with us today, and he managed to pull himself and his things together.
It put everything into perspective in a way. I had to say a rather rushed goodbye to Roman because he was doing his best to translate for everyone involved. But it made me realize that though it may suck that we have to say goodbye, I am so blessed to have him, that should be my focus.

Well, 27 hours later we landed in LAX, the horrors of the morning seemingly a distant nightmare.

Thank you for everything you've done/been for me this past year. I will be praying for you. Give France my love, I miss it already.

nikirae18 said...

what happen friend?!?! call me! xoxo hope everything is okay? love ya!