Thursday, December 31, 2009

Au Revoir 2009

Photo by Tim Walker

Dear 2009,

Wow. What a year it has been! You have brought me many lessons, smiles, complications, thrills, joy, loneliness, and lots of new and matured love. You of all years, are a year that will be unforgettable. But the time has come to say goodbye. We must go our separate ways- when the clock strikes twelve like Cinderella you will flee and forever be a memory.

I remember when we met at the end of 2008 at Henessy’s, when I was surrounded with many of my great friends. It was an unforgettable night- our first moments together, you were lots of fun yet, I wasn’t sure what you would bring to me in the days and months ahead. I thought that I was losing everything when you arrived. Yet- you only enhanced everything that I did have. You only improved who I was.

There were days where loneliness loomed so heavy as a dark cloud I couldn’t see the hand in front of my face. But you stayed steady and constant passing time, to a moment where light and sunshine would appear. You would take days of gloom and turn them into the most unbelievable moments of my life. You have made the joy of my life, enhanced by the reality of looking beyond your current circumstance, and having joy in all circumstances.

With you I have conquered so many fears, seen the results of consistent hard work, and experienced lifetime daydreams, turn into a bigger than life, reality. Together we have made new great friends, seen parts of the world I never dreamed of, depended on the love of Christ more than ever, and grown deeper in the confidence of who I am and made to be. I don’t know what I am going to do without you. You strengthened me and I will be sad to see you go.

I laugh looking back at the moments of being utterly lost, stumbling around trying to make it through, and the crazy idea’s I have come up with as experiencing this time. Through rollerblading in the city, flooding my apartment, and speaking really bad French- you helped me find the beauty and humor in it all.

You brought friends to visit me whom I never expected would appear. Each of them bringing new special memories and blessings. I was honored that they could see and experience the small part of my life that was being created far away from my previous life in San Diego. It was special for me to see each of them partiake in this place that has so greatly changed me, and watch their faces glow as they too saw all the beauty 2009 and this city have to behold.

The new people you 2009 introduced to me, are quite incredible and without them this year would not have been the same. From those who helped me learn how to live in a foreign place, gave me a family when mine was so far away, helped me when I was helpless, and befriended me when I couldn’t speak a common word- each person will continue to live with me into the next year. And will always be a reason of insurmountable thankfulness in my heart.

I am not sure yet how we will part tonight. Part of me wants to be with those I was with when we met last year. Part of me wants to go into the city I have spent so much time with you in, another wants to stay home and reminisce of all the time that has gone by so quickly. Today I am overcome with a feeling of sentimentality because I have so many endearing feelings for this year. I am stuck in not wanting it all to come to an end, and desiring to hold on for forever. But, because of the growth and greatness you have given to me this year, makes me look brightly to the future of 2010.

So tonight, when the clock strikes 12:00 no matter where I am, I will be thinking of you 2009. And all the beauty you have possessed. You give me the confidence to walk boldly into the face of 2010 and all the future beauty, trials, love, and dreams that lie ahead there.

Thanks for such an amazing year!

Grosse Bissos
*Katie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog....
Happy New Year!
love,
mom

ashly said...

absolutely, positively loved it! it was so perfect even for me to think of 2009 because we dont always take the time to look back but always looking forward. so thank you it was better than i anticipated!!!

I wish I was with you! but next year I say...NYC!!!

Unknown said...

Katie,
Beautifully put. Your amazing. Happy New Year.... Love you. :)