Monday, December 21, 2009

On the Champs Elysees...

The weather is brisk. The pedestrians are cloaked in black from head to toe (except me- I didn’t get the memo). Quaint accents of buttons and scarf’s, is what sets each person apart within the sea of black. The long rows of trees where leaves once hung, are now marked by strands of bright twinkeling lights. There is a smell of cinnamon and cloves hovering in the air, and each booth you pass you are greeted with a friendly, “Bonjour!”



What is this fabulous place?

The Champs Elysees Christmas Markets.



The Champs Elysees is no stranger to people in the city of Pairs. It’s up there in the must sees and do’s for tourists, as the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower. While the streets are continually bustling with cars, tourists, and shoppers- this time of year, the streets standard feeling of busyness, has been replaced with one of a congenial merriment.



The beginning of the markets on the Champs Elysees is marked by a Ferris wheel that illuminates the open air market. The wheel is massive in size and can easily be spotted from any place along the boulevard.



In the evenings, the market is busy, but not over crowded. It is cool and damp as Paris should be at Christmas time. It is not pouring and freezing, which would turn any outdoor event into miserable experience. With all the delights you are filled around, you forget it is cold outside, but it’s befitting to be bundled up as you linger up and down the Christmas stalls.



As you walk along the streets, passing vendors selling chocolates, teas, and other Christmas treats; you are continually aware of your senses and how they change from booth to booth. Depending on which booth you are passing, you are enveloped in the smells of chocolate, Cinnamon from the Vin Chaud, or scents from the candles burning. Each smell enticing you to stop, look, and even better to buy, whatever is creating the irresistible fragrance.



I generally tire quickly and promptly become overwhelmed with shopping and markets. But this market was something different. There was a calm and peaceful affect to this market. As soon as I exited the metro and saw the lights, giving a glow to the streets, I could only stand and taken in the beauty of the streets. I then vowed that one day, I will spend a Christmas with my family in Paris. It is so beautiful, and an experience that I wish for everyone to be able to have in their memories.

I love Paris at Christmas time!

(Nicole- this pic is just for you)

5 comments:

Miss Angie said...

I want to go there! It's so pretty! Glad you're enjoying yourself!

ashly said...

mmmmmm...i really love chocolate right now. as you described, i could smell it all!

miss you!

nikirae18 said...

so cute kt! love it!! hope your having a blast there! thinking of you..xoxo

Brigitte said...

I bet it's BEAUTIFUL! I love the pics, and you look AMAZING by the way!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to come! take me! take me! this is definately a family vacation!! :) love you! mom