Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It's a Sign!

Driving in France you get to see, learn and abide by new road signs. Over time I have come to find many of the signals the French give to their drivers quite interesting and thought that today I would share some with you, in case you too ever find yourself driving around France.
*** I do not know the real meanings of this signs (other than #1 and #3, these are my interpretations***

1. The first and most important sign is an "efficient" (or speedy) drivers best friend:




This sign is your best friend if you are like me and feel the need for speed. The sign is a warning of the speed limit and letting you know that one of these is up ahead.


If you did not listen to your Best Friend above then this guy will be your worst enemy. He's like the paparazzi of speeding cars. Always there to flash his bright lights at you. However, you won't see your picture posted in next weeks addition of US weekly's "Their just like us," but rather, will receive a 100 euro speed ticket with in a week or two. So, my personal advice, watch for the first sign, and keep your hundred euro to buy yourself something pretty.

2. Do Not Drive on the Water. I didn't know it was an option for cars to drive on water, but apparently there are appropriate and inappropriate places to do so. Real meaning: Road closed to vehicles carrying water polutable chemicals




3. When entering a highway, naturally the cars entering on the right need to merge with the cars on the left. However, as you come to a merge point on a highway on your Left you will see this sign: Do Not Turn Right



While simultaneously on your right you will see this sign: Do not Turn Left.



What is great about these signs on every merge ramp is that you actually do not even have the option to turn left or right. If you turned left or right in these straight lanes you would smash into a wall or be in direct traffic. My mom particularly loved this, when she was visiting and every time we were in a merging area and these signs were posted she would point and say, "Don't turn left here. Don't turn right here," and then begin to chuckle at her joke. Now whenever I drive past these signs I laugh and think of her.

4. Cars with loose screws will become unhinged, and turn into a stick of butter. Real meaning: Road closed to trailers transporting harmful materials.



Last but certainly not least is my favorite of all favorite signs and like a child giggle every time I see it.

5. Exploding Vehicles Ahead. Apparently there are planted mines on certain highways and you must be careful not to hit one or your car just might explode, and that would be a disaster. Real meaning: suggesting that there may be vehicles carrying explosive material.

8 comments:

Fabulously French said...

Hello Katie,

Hope that you are enjoying being in France. We have found that the locals here cannot get enough of english cider and english christmas mince pies but I am not sure if you have a Anglais magasin near you. They adore foreign things as to the french they are exotic, it is like french things are to you and I.

Hence of of our french friends daughter's bedroom is a shrine to anything english and in Maisons de Monde anything with the union jack on is selling quickly....

Last year I made the locals home made rocky road which they all adored, so anything different seems to be much appreciated.
Hope this helps.....

Leeann x

Anonymous said...

Cute post! I started laughing (again) when I say the don't turn left & don't turn right signs! Thanks for the memory! :)
kisses.....
mom

Ana Laura E said...

Haha... the last one is shocking!!! If I ever go to France again, now I know what all of these mean.

Miss Angie said...

So I enquired of my french Roommie... He said number 2 is road closed to vehicles carrying water polutable chemicals, and number 4 is road closed to trailers transporting harmful materials. Number 5 is suggesting that there may be vehicles carrying explosive material.

Apparently if a sign has a circle around it, it means that thing is not allowed. If it is square and blue, it is allowed. :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am sorry, that has interfered... At me a similar situation. Let's discuss.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.