Sunday, March 28, 2010

Living and Loving in the City of Lovin

Living in the city of loooooove- you see it all around (l-o-v-e that is), and as spring comes jumping into action you see all the “lovely” couples just eager to flock back out into the gardens and parks of Paris to savor their love in the warm sunshine. Not to mention the influx of tourists that will appear to take a kissing headshot in every monument around the city. Yes I will stop and take a picture for you. No you will not be in it, if you start making out.

So as the flowers begin to bloom, birds start to sing in the air, what makes people go crazy after one eye gazing stare. What can take a usually normal sane being and after a brief chat, smile across a crowded room, or first date- make people totally lose their minds and wonder what the heck is going to happen next? And while you feel completely bizerk (yes I made this word up) people tell you it’s completely normal. I am pretty sure over analyzing ever single moment, several times, is not “completely” normal. But while you maybe going internally insane between first encounters and first phone calls, you are completely elated once you hear the voice of the anticipated pursuer actually DOES call. And filled with hope of where it will go from here…

Whenever I talk to anyone from home who I haven’t talked to since I pretty much left, one of the first questions they ask is, “So… have you met anyone yet?” (Which to be fair is a fully understandable question, it’s more of the expectation of romance due to Paris I am emphasizing on.) Prior to moving, pretty much every person (minus two people who refuse to let me live here forever) claimed my future as the typical Hollywood blockbuster love story to happen. I am so sorry to disappoint each person thus far on my venture. Cause really, I am pretty sure no one would be more excited than ME ME ME ME ME for that to actually be true.

One friend of mine has gone so far as to take bets with me. I love betting on my love life. It’s quite comical. Anyways… she is 100% certain it’s going to happen. The whole love story: Meet cute , fall in love, married, babies, “Katie a Married Parisian for life.” I am totally not against it. But I do live my reality here – and she lives the hope of the dream for me. I am thankful for that. So, whenever I comment on how I have met a cute guy, passed one on the street, or something to that degree, her quick response, “I knew it! I am going to win this bet!” Whoa… hold on Charlie… Let’s get an actual first date before we set the wedding date.

The funniest part is, this isn’t even just a foretelling from friends from home thing. It’s like in your mid-twenties if it’s not on your mind constantly; then others will put it there with a fresh dose of false hope as a free tote to go with your singleness. Whenever I travel and visit our staff in the Middle East, they tell me of all the people who have gotten married after visiting them. “Stephanie came to visit us, and she got married after wards, this always happens when people stay with us, you will see (wink wink).” “Jeni was great she came, and now she’s married, it’s cause she came to see us.” “Oh Alice, she was with us, and then she went home and quickly married, we are good luck.” Well, I cannot refute these stories are true, Stephanie, Jeni, and Alice are all married. I’ll be sure to take some of your love soil back with me in my carry on and sprinkle it around for good luck each night before I go to bed, or out with friends at night. I will be sure to send you the results once I marry.

I cannot deny. I am a sucker for love and boys. I am happy to be single at this moment. And, I love seeing happy couples all around the city. It reminds me that there is hope for all of us singles out there. Most see couples as annoying or a reminder of their singleness, and at times I will admit to having those thoughts and feelings too. But somehow here in Paris, minus the metro make out scenes, I appreciate people being in love and the reminder that no matter where you are in the world, there is love everywhere.

And hey… if people want to dream the dream for me, I mine as well let them, I’ll take all the wishful thinking people can give me. But – I am not just looking for good wishful thinking; I’ve got to keep a look out for the real deal here. And I mean, who’s to say, maybe someday after the first look, and the first encounter, I’ll have my first set of anxiety before receiving, the first phone call, and even… the first date.

No comments: