Wednesday, March 10, 2010

McDonaldization

The common plea around the American’s I work with is there is a KFC and a Pizzahut the two sister companies of Taco Bell- but why No TACO BELL in France??? Nous Voulons taco bell. It is a mystery to us all and one that leaves are stomachs always longing for those gooey Chessey Gordia Crunches. After writing that- maybe it’s the fake cheese the Frenchies are against, but oh how I love that cheese piled on my Nachos bell grande- with a fountain Pepsi. Ahhh there’s really nothing else like it.



As much as I would love a Taco Bell here in France, I have to admit- though delicious, I applaud France for not taking on Taco Bell (but really it’s their loss). I came to this conclusion after my last travel in the Middle East. Neither Lebanon nor Jordan had a Taco Bell but their selection of “American” restaurants was far far far greater than what you would find here in France.



There were the common exported restaurants such as McDonalds, KFC, Dominos, and my personal favorite, Starbucks!



But then there were many more that I felt oddly strange to see in the Middle East: Apple Bee’s? TGIFridays? And most eye popping was Fudruckers! What the Fudruckers? Are you kidding me? This is my Dad’s favorite restaurant, and Fudruckers isn’t even all too common where I live, and here it sits- in Amman Jordan.



The tragedy of this, is there is such great food to be found in the Middle East. And LOTS of it. Every meal our hosts stuffed us to the brim. At one point there were 35 plates of food on the table. Our first night as appetizers were being served, I thought, “this sure does put the appetizer platter at AppleBee’s and TGIFridays to shame!”



While in the Middle East I greatly enjoyed the idea I could just go and grab a Crispy Crème, or any other American fave of mine- I just couldn’t make it fit in my mind that it was okay to go for a Whopper rather than a Schwarma.

Me in front of Reem the rated #1 Schwarma stand in the Middle East via the NY Times.


Oh wait! This is actually Reem. The Red Stand, two stands down from the Blue one. I Can't believe I did read the sign.


I greatly appreciate that France is an advocate for fighting against the McDonaldization of their food preferences. While I may miss my Taco Bell- I know that when I return my Taco’s will still be waiting but that while I am in France, Jordan, or Lebanon- I want to enjoy the food of that place and what fresh seasonings and ingredients have to offer. Though many would disagree and would like their American options- I am happy I don’t have them- but have the fun of exploring what the Frenchies have to provide. For now, I am perfectly content with thinking within the Baguette!

2 comments:

ashly said...

i have certainly been craving a burrito supreme lately. dont worry, i will carry packets of mild sauce with me in my luggage!

Miss Angie said...

Yeah I can definitely appreciate that they're fighting it. It's a good thing!