Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Striking Game

The common joke you hear is that Striking is the French National Sport. Like American’s national sport is Baseball, Striking is something perfected by the French. They all rally together and support one another through this bonding experience.

And when I say perfected- I mean… they have learned to work the system amazingly. See when I first arrived, there weren’t too many strikes and then suddenly there were strikes all of the time. Then they stopped. Well this week there is a strike once again on the metro lines. And I figured out the genius-ness of the Frenchies striking system. They may have fooled me the first year, but I figured out the catalyst for their striking season.

Now while, most would say that they are striking over bad pay, change in political leadership, you know… common reasons to strike. I would argue the Frenchies are really striking subconsciously to get out into the sunshine.

You see we have recently had a change in weather making lots of nice “no need to wear a coat,” sunny days; after a very long and cold winter. In the winter, I never heard of strikes taking place. Because seriously who wants to stand outside when is raining, snowing, or just gosh darn cold. No one. Exactly. They would rather stay contently inside, suffering whatever it is they will strike once the sun comes out.

So yes, I would now agree that like Baseball is to Americans, Striking is too the French. Because when the warm weather comes around, they all meet together outside to enjoy the warm sunshine, play some games, and enjoy the beautiful day. So to help the Frenchies up a notch making their striking a bit more like the American sport I have made them their very own rendition to “Take me out to the Ball Game”
You know… for when they take their 7th hour Kir, Stretch.

Take me out to the sunshine
Take me out to the signs
Buy me some cheese and some good baguettes
I don’t care if I ever go back
Cause it’s root root root for the sunshine
If the clouds come back it’s a shame
Cause it’s Une, Deux, Trois STRIKES till your tan
At the Old Striking Game!

3 comments:

ashly said...

you are one clever girl katie hickey!

Anonymous said...

lol!
mom

Unknown said...

Your soooo funnnnyyyy :-)