Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bon Dimanche

I can’t state how much joy my Sunday market brings me. But it should be obvious to the readers because I feel like I mention it often. I want to blog about it every Sunday because every Sunday it brings me something refreshing. I am always learning something new, whether it’s about what is in season when, discovering a new food I have never seen before, or having the opportunity and time to practice my French with the Locals. I love that I have vendors who know me and greet me each Sunday- and who notice when I haven’t been around for a while, or comment that I got too much sun the day before (an impossibility here if you ask me.)

This Sunday, nothing out of the ordinary particularly happened, but I want to share my experience – to document it, so that I may never forget the joy it brings to me. Today is a beautiful sunny day. The walk down the cobble stone street that leads to the main market road was sparkled with people carrying baskets of fresh produce back to their flats. The line at the “Coeur de Pain” (Heart of bread) boulangerie was out the door with people waiting to get their baguettes to accompany their family Sunday meal. And on the corner the tabac was filled with men sipping their cafes probably discussing the events of this last week.

My first stop at the market is always the produce stand. Here there is a young French guy who typically helps me, or was the first person I interacted with and he patiently helped me get through the proper pronunciation of French produce. There is an older man with a mustache who is always smiling, and a quaint woman who always walks around to the waiting patrons and offers samples of fruit, “Fresh cantaloupe! 1 euro, Lovely Strawberries 2 euro per kilo.” My next stop is generally to the woman who sells herbs. I like her a lot. Today was the first time we talked past what I actually wanted- my typical order each week is either Basil or Coriander (Cilantro)- however today I stepped out of the box and tried something new.

I am not sure if it because it is summer- the beginning of the new season, but today I discovered many new foods I had never seen before. Not only discovering new foods was part of today’s fun, but also the delight of picturesque colors displayed on all the cherries, strawberries, peaches, and nectarines, they are like a bright floral arrangement of fruit, bursting with flavors of bright colors.

In celebration of the new goods from today, I want to highlight three of my indulgent purchases today. Two are new goodies to try and one is and oldie but a goodie- but tastes more extravagant than ever before. I am so sad I cannot put a sample on my blog for you to try, but can only tempt and tease you through the pictures and writings. Today I bought- some type of exotic Mushrooms, Nectarines, and Coco Haricots- but I have no idea what they would be called in English.



Last week there was an abundance of new mushrooms on display- I was tempted then, but resisted. However this week I went to the market in pursuit of mushrooms. When I made it to my herbs lady who had on display about 5 different types of mushrooms- I asked her what the difference was between them, and she said they were all really different, it depended on what I wanted to make. I explained that I had no idea, this was my first time, but they looked all so beautiful I wanted to try some. She pointed out the mushrooms pictured and said they would be easiest.



They also happened to be the ones I was eyeing last week. She then instructed me how to prepare them and gave me a free bunch of chives to sauté the mushrooms in. I can’t wait to try them- I love the shapes and colors of these- I am interested to see how they change form when cooked, and what aroma they will fill my apartment with.



Last week I bought a half kilo of Nectarines and regretted it all week long. Why in the world would I have deprived myself? These Nectarines are one of the best things I have ever enjoyed in my life. The color of the skin is like a perfect Californian sunset and the flesh inside is as bright as the sun on a clear day. The bursts of flavor overtake your senses and is the purest taste of a perfect summer one could enjoy.



In response to only buying a half kilo of nectarines last week- this week I bought 4 kilos (8 pounds) of nectarines. Obviously I cannot eat 8 pounds of nectarines in a week- but the plan is to chop some up and freeze them to be enjoyed all year long. Genius I know!

And finally- the most exotic award goes to my coco Haricots. I have never seen these before but was intrigued as soon as I saw them. I have no idea what they will taste like or what the texture will consist of? Will it be like a kidney bean or will it be like a snap pea? I initially thought the color of the shell was pretty the gentle wisps of purple color.



But then the guy helping me opened up the shell and inside was 5 pearls of speckled jelly bellies. My friend Andrea was talking about how much creativity God used when giving us food and when I saw this, I thought of Andrea, and am interested to see what this creation will bring to my palate once perfectly prepared. I was told to unshell the jelly belly contents into lightly boiling water for 40 minutes, what I forgot to ask was what I should make with them. But here’s to trying new things.



Overall, today’s market experience was a success. I was able to collect a plethora of goodies to be enjoyed throughout the week. I was able to have good conversations in French not only about the food but able to learn more about those who help me week after week, and reconfirming the relationship with my hosts. I am so lucky they are able to share their knowledge and nutritional treasures with me. I am excited to have something new to try to make and taste throughout the week. Hopefully I will follow their instructions properly and have successful stories to share with them next week.

Bon Dimanche! (Happy Sunday!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those are the mushrooms I wanted last time I was there - so figure out how to cook them & you can make them for us :)
love you,
mom (#51)