Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Slurping Down The Funds

Often it is said living in Paris is so expensive. However, in the end I am unable to give direct concrete examples of why it is so much more expensive to live here other than the typical- “to start off you have the disparity between the value of the euro and the dollar.”

Well that is all fine and well. But… unless you live with that daily disparity you might not fully grasp what this means. But alas, I have found a perfect example of one way living in France is much more expensive than living in the U.S. Or at least the value of cost and product.

The other day in the mall, my roommate had a craving for a slushy. I was convinced these didn’t even exist in France considering how hard I have to fight for a single cube of ice. But she assured me and led the way to the slushy machines.

In front of the slushy machines were the posted prices, just as you would have at your local 7/11 or AM/PM (or whatever gas station you use for your slushy fix). However, the cups were not next to the handles. You were required to first go and pay 2 euros (2.63 dollars this day) and then they handed you a cup where you could have the lady pour you, your slushy. I decided this wasn’t the day to ask her to mix the flavors.

Moi: Um… Can I have layered coke and cherry please? Thanks! That’d be great!

Their would be reaction: Ce n’est pas possible.

After paying the lady pulls out the cup and I thought it must be a joke. But instead I have a joke or riddle for you?

Q: How do you make a small car look big?

A: Put a French Slushy in front of it!


While in the U.S. for 2.50 you would be given a up about this size.



For our bargin of almost 3.00 dollars. Sarah and I were given this dainty thirst quenching size.



If only we were at yogurt land and could pay an extra 10 cents for them to “drop it” and quadruple my slushy value.

1 comment:

ashly said...

ha! i was at 7-11 last night (after I begged andrea to walk literally two blocks with me). in america, they even sell metal straws so your slurpee stays cool all the way to your mouth.