Thursday, June 3, 2010

Free no more

When I arrived in France I was greeted with the wonderful youthful, energetic, buoyant, age of 24.


And now I am the old seasoned, grape dehydrated turned raisin age of 26.


Had I been in the US of A, in the land of the Free, and the land of Free refills; during this age of transition, this thought might not be so tragic or a transition at all. But because I am in the land of the free, if you are under 26- my cost of living just went up significantly.

See there is this beautiful fact in France that pretty much everything is cheaper when you are 25 or under. Free museums, discounted metro tickets, cheaper movie passes, lower priced gym memberships (the whopping bargain of 52 euros a month), and these are just to name a few. This was especially beneficial when the friends and family come to visit and I would go play tourguide for the touristos and touristas. I greatly appreicated not having to pay full price to see the same things several times. To me it helped even it out.

But alas… the joy of freeloading off the benefits of being young in Paris have dissipated. My time of gallivanting around for free or on the cheap has come to an end. I now must join the rest of the population over 25 and do the unthinkable… but to pay the Adult price.

Ugh.

They can take away my youthful discounts, but they can never take away my yooooooouth!

2 comments:

Emily Catherine said...

I hadn't thought about that! BOO!

Tracy McPike said...

WOW, that's great that they give you until 26 to pay adult prices! Here in the good ol' USA it's after age 12 that you pay the adult prices, which I think is totally wrong! Glad you got to enjoy free or cheap for as long as you did! Love you, Aunt Tracy