Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Own Personal Jillian


One thing that I find necessary to my survival is movement. I have to move- I cannot sit still for long periods of time- in fact if I am sedentary for too long of a period of time I become stressed out, anxious and weary. I love working out. My favorite form is dancing but most commonly will be found at the gym, running out side or some activity of this kind. Well here in Turkey the fitness center is made up of one treadmill, One elliptical with a crooked foot on the left side and a bit rusty, a reclined bike that doesn’t actually work and a few weight machines. Not your everyday American 24 hour fitness but it gets the job done. One problem though – the hours of the fitness center are from 9:00 am to 7:00 p.m. Conveniently the hours that I am working while at this conference. Quite lovely.
Well yesterday I made it to the gym! While alone in the center running blissfully in my world I was interrupted with the sound of someone speaking loudly. Not yelling but with a loud enough voice to be heard over my running playlist, and the monstrous sounds this treadmill made. I turned to find an old German lady in an all while Adidas track suit speaking to me in German. Shaking her head up and down with excitement written all over her face. I still do not know what she was saying to me- though she seemed very pleased and astonished. At what… that I am not sure. After a minute, I decided to ignore her and continue on my run. Well then my 80 year old Jillian Michael’s walks up to my machine and looking at the stat board on the treadmill again begins shaking her head and speaking to me. I thought she was going to reach over and increase my pace or incline she was looking at the board with such interest. She then remained my special German trainer standing with me, next to me, and over me for the next twenty minutes as I finish my run. Telling me to focus on breathing (by replicating breathing sounds) telling her friend who walked into the room about me, and monitoring my progress.
When I had finished my workout I turned to the lady and said, “Danka.” Old German Jillian then got on the machine-though I thought she was Miss Fitness Germany- however once one the machine she was unable to figure out how to work the treadmill and her max speed was 2.6 mph. I hope she enjoyed her workout because from what I could tell she might have gotten her workout from watching mine. \
Today I went running once again and through my time kept checking over my shoulder waiting for Jillian to return.

2 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

That is a very weird story. And also, before I broke my leg, I was solely working out by dancing around my house with my ipod. Fun and free and no timeframe. Well, other than when its late enough that my neighbors wouldn't see me. Now I will be working out with a trainer. Too bad you aren't around to walk around the building with...once I learn to walk again that is.

nikirae18 said...

you crack me up! are you watching tv(the biggest loser) out there..man first thing i would buy is a fridge and tv! LOL