Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Turkey, Snow, and Hazelnuts

It's been a year and I am back in Turkey. This time instead of observing I am a full participant in all the crazy details that pull of the Leadership development Conference. I am loving it. It's fun meeting all the people who come in to participate in the conference. It starts on Thursday but I thought I would share my crazy day traveling to Turkey this year.
The day started out as any other- woke up and got ready to be picked up at 7:00 am- where it should take 30 minutes to get to the air port. I walked into my living room and gasp! SNOW! I was so excited! I live in a place that snows! How Fun! Only to quickly remember snow = travel delays. Utoh... :/ After being picked up, my quick drive to the airport turned into a 3 hour traffic jam. (note- it takes 3 hours to fly from Paris to Istanbul.) So within the start of my trip I have already double the time expected to travel.
Once arriving at the airport, it's busy, I get through the lines and my original flight is delayed. And this is where all the fun people watching begins.
While waiting at Charles De Gaule I got to see the French Professional World Championship Handle Ball Team arrive and get off the plane, (people were very excited), Watch an Asian model photo shoot- and have a unclaimed baggage scare. (turns out if there is an unclaimed bag, once removed they will blow it up.)
The on flight movie as a Jessica Simpson movie I have never heard of and won't give you the name- because I would never want to promote this film. Sorry Jess...
While waiting in Istanbul at the luggage carousel I watched a fight get broken up and then headed to my next flight.
On this plane there was no movie but there were two very cute soccer teams. Thus there was plenty of entertainment for me on this hour flight. :)
Apparently Turkey is known for their Hazelnuts, they are proud and put a ton of money into their marketing. I found their slogan so profound I just had to share: "A handful of Hazelnuts a day... Is Good." Just let that depth and enlightenment sink in for a bit to appreciate the thought behind that ingenious marketing.
Last but not least on this flight the man sitting a few rows ahead of me was starting to bald. Most, when this happens, buy a tupay or embrace the bald look. This man's solution, Tattoos. On the Right and left side of the head were two large tarantellas and in the center I couldn't see clearly but it looked as thought it was a picture of Kermit the Frog. Though I would think it was more likely a skeleton.
So this was my day of fun and traveling to Turkey. If the traveling was that exciting- I can only imagine what lyes ahead in the next 10 days. Fun!

2 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

What a trip. I love being in airports and people watching. Its hilarious. The snow will be there when you get back, and you can play in it all day. Ride a camel for me. And eat hazelnuts...apparently, they're good.

Emily Catherine said...

haha, I am not a big fan of airports/the stress that comes with security checks and delays, but the opportunities to people watch almost make it all worth it.