Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gazole vs. Sans Plomb



I would now like to give you all a lesson in pumping gas.
In France, Unleaded would be called Sans Plomb. While alternatively Diesel would be called Gazole.

When I was handed the keys to the car I am "using" (note I do not own this car) I was told the car takes Diesel- and that Gas here is called Sans Plomb. The car was a quarter of a tank full at the time. When I went to pump gas for the first time my dear friend Tiffany did so for me because my credit card would not work in their machines and the store to pay with cash was already closed. Thus I did not pay attention to what fuel she put into the vehicle. Though I remembered her saying something about Gazole.

Yesterday, I noticed it once again was time to fill up the car. I pulled up to the gas station and there staring at me were two options... Gazole vs Sans Plomb. (Place Scarry killer music here: Reeek Reeek Reeek) Hmmm I thought... Which one do I put in... "Oh! Tiffany told me to use Gazole for Diesel." So I pick the Gazole. Two Liters later I realize I am mixing fuels because the owner of the car said, "Sans Plomb." I immediately stop pumping and being to fuel up on Sans Plomb, Praying I will not blow up.

Feeling a bit more assured that I have made the right decision in what I am putting in my car to make it run, I begin to confidently fill up my car with the Sans Plomb. While looking around the gas station I see that on the stall across from me on the Gazole pump someone had written the word- DIESEL!
UT-OH! I promptly let go of the lever flowing the poison of Sans Plomb into my car and wonder what to do next.

I now have have in my gas tank: half unleaded half Diesel. I think to my self... "Only Katie Hickey would do something like this." And then think- I can't be the first person to make this mistake and that I really really hope I don't blow up!

Turns out, I didn't blow up. Though, this mistake is not recommended. Should you ever make this mistake here are the steps you should take to correct it. You should have the incorrect gasoline drained from your car and then re-fill your tank with the correct energy source. However- because I now had a mix of half and half was told to finish filling my tank with GAZOLE (not Sans Plomb) to make the Gazole more dominant and the car should run fine.

I know this is one mistake I will be sure not to make twice. I will now ALWAYS remember that Gazole is Diesel and Sans Plomb is Unleaded. And if this helps you avoid making the same mistake, then I feel okay about my idiotness!

DOH!

4 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

I still really cannot believe you are driving around Paris in a car. By yourself. You are the bravest!

Katie said...

awww thanks Lindsay! I think the hardest part is actually the Gas- otherwise it's the same as home :)

nikirae18 said...

I cant stop laughing..with you not at you! LOL..

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.