Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The magic kingdom

It’s all a journey. Everyone is one different paths going in a direction of their choice. Sometimes your paths cross and you travel together for a while hopefully a lifetime. Others you pass right on by. Strangely you don’t realize how far you have walked down that journey sometimes until you have the opportunity to meet up with someone entering the same road as you.

Yesterday I met with my friend Emily. Now Emily is my friend Mike’s little sister- and Brigitte’s soon to be sister in law. Whoo hoo. I have known Mike for about 8 or 9 years. I have always adored Mike and felt like he was a brother of mine. When I first went to college, and my parents dropped me off at the dorms, we said goodbye on the Sigma lobby and I went up to my empty room (311), sad and thinking I had just walked away from all that I knew and all who loved me. When I got to my room I signed on to Instant Messager. Mike was online and is the person who initially told me it would all be okay and helped me get through that first night all alone. Mike may not remember this night but I have often thought of the kindness of Mike that night, and how blessed I was by his encouragement. I never would have imagined I would have the opportunity to pass that kindness down to his sister 7 years later.

Emily moved to Paris last Thursday, to work for Disneyland Paris. Super cool! But naturally as going through any major transition for the first time, (let alone in a totally foreign country) has had a trying transition. I have been anticipating Emily’s arrival and greatly looked forward to spending time with her. I took the metro up to the Disneyland stop and when I got off the metro I honestly felt like I had been teleported back to California. It was the strangest feeling in my life. It was comforting and at the same time fully overwhelming. You get off the metro and you are in Downtown Disney. It looks exactly what it would look like if you were to drive to Anaheim and get off The 5 fwy on Disney blvd and park. It was crazy. It didn’t fit. This is France dark, petite, quite- Disney is bright, big, loud.



Seeing Emily we ran up to one another and gave each other a huge hug of relief and excitement to have someone familiar around who understood who we were, where we come from, and what we are going through. I loved sitting and listening to Emily. Listening to her and watching her process all that has happened the last week was like being taken back into time 5 months ago when I first moved here. All her questions, all her exhaustion, her missing friends and family, and mostly the strength she knows she has to do it, but the struggle it takes sometimes.

I loved my time with Emily and even today it just makes me smile for so many different reasons. I smile because thanks to Emily she was able to show me how far I have come the last few months. That I am not still fully lost – I am lost but I have figured a lot of things out. But the biggest reason for me to smile is knowing the journey that Emily gets to go on. She is so lucky to have this opportunity to work for Disney and to daily see and make children smile. She is going to grow and find a God given strength within her that she never knew existed, and she is going to have the opportunity to look back at this experience and see beauty in a place she may never have imagined it.

I went yesterday to comfort Emily- bring her a peace and comfort that can only come from someone you know. However, I think I was greatly blessed just by Emily’s spirit, her strength, and her courage to keep pushing forward and to make the best out of each day.

Emily I know you can do this. This is your journey and for the next 8 months we get to walk through it together. It’s all unknown to us but in time it will all be a story for us to tell. It's just like Mr. Toad's WILD ride!

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the lord “and will bring you back from captivity.” – Jeremiah 29:11-14

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I heart both of you!!!

monica said...

Stopping in from SITS to say Hi!

Emily Catherine said...

thank you katie. for everything.

I honestly don't know if I could get through this experience without you.

I thought I might come visit Saturday? I'll let you know.