Sunday, May 31, 2009

Being a kid for one more day

I have one day left before I turn 25. I feel like today has so much pressure associated with it. Today is the last day I will be in my young twenties. When I wake up tomorrow I will be in my mid-twenties. Really, I will be no different tomorrow at 9:15 a.m. than I am at this moment – but I feel 25 has different expectations than 24. No more being a kid. Time for full on adulthood.

When I was a kid 25 was old. You could still be cool at 25 but you were definitely old. You had a job. You were married. You had usually had a baby. And most importantly you had a cool car and clothes. I am not the 25 yr old that I thought 25’s were. I have a job but no where near the married or baby thing (which I am okay with at this moment) and I am thankful to at least have a car and clothes.

It’s just funny to me the thoughts we conjure up of what we are supposed to be at a certain time in our lives, and the reality of what it actually is when we arrive. It seems like today should be one of great freedom and carelessness to utilize every last moment of my young twenties. Though I fear my last carefree day will be spent taking my friend to the airport after her 10 day visit, going to dance practice, and then cleaning my apartment and doing a lot of neglected laundry and French homework. Boring. They are all things that must be done for me to be able to have nothing to do tomorrow the first day of being 25.

I loved my young twenties- and thus I can’t imagine that my mid-twenties can have anything awful in store. I have to say 24 pretty much did rock. Lots of great things happened this year- it had it’s up’s in downs but I have landed on my feet, I will not be drug across the finish line to the age of 25. Thanks to this great year filled with love, support, prayer, and encouragement from family and friends I will be able to walk boldly, brightly and confidently into the year of being 25.

I may not exactly be what I thought I would be at 25 but at least I have one last day to play in my young twenties. Maybe all that laundry and homework and remain neglected for a few more days…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a fantastic 25 year old, literally saving my daughter's life with your existence.

Brigitte said...

HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY KATIE! I love this post because I had those exact thoughts going into 25! And I'll never forget you and Cynthia being there for me when I was going through such a tough time (and I still don't understand why) ha ha! I love you!!!!