Thursday, October 29, 2009

Agneau?

A few weeks ago my parents and I ventured off to the local grocery store to buy something for dinner. Unsure of what we were exactly going to make we headed to the meat section for some inspiration. There were the meats I recognized beef (beouf), pork (porc), and chicken (poulet).

And then there was Agneau.

Here’s what went down:

Mom: Kate, What’s Agneau?

Me: hmmm. Well veal is Veau. Maybe it’s like veal?

Mom: Are you sure?

Me: Nooooo….

(Meat man walking by)

Me: Pardon. Que-est que ce Agneau? (Excuse me. What is Agneau?)

Meat Man: Ugh… Agneau…. C’est Agneau (shrugging shoulders)

(gee thanks.)

Me: Beouf?

Meat Man: No.

Me: Porc?

Meat Man: No.

Unsure what each person was try to say, we are left with blank confused faces and insecure in knowing what animal Agneau came from. Since French wasn’t working, we resolved to a higher level of communication.

Me and Mom: Mooo?

Meat man: No.

Me and Mom: nogh nogh nogh (pig snorting)

Meat Man: No. (waving finger back and forth at us with other hand up to his face in a thinking manner)

Me: (rocking back and forth like I am swinging a baby) Moo moo.

Meat Man: No. Desole. Bonne Chance. (No sorry Good luck)

Mom and I surrender. We leave with beef. That was safe.

Today, sitting in French class, the girl next is talking about a traditional meal in her culture and says, “AGNEAU!” Then she checks with the teacher, “how do you say lamb? Agneau?” I start laughing while my teacher then writes the word to verify that, Agneau is Lamb!

Or, if you are talking to the butcher in the store you could always ask, “Pardon, Agneau C’est Baaaa Baa?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - I totally remember our oinking noises! and the man's face! I think Debbie & Tracy said I should have baa'd - for sheep or lamb....
love you,
mom

Tracy McPike said...

We (Aunt Debbie and I) laughed so hard when your mom told us this story and even went baaa baaa at the same time and your mom was so surprised we new to guess Lamb!!! I got to laugh hard all over again!! LOL Thanks so much! :>)

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Hilarious!

Unknown said...

Love this story the second time around, just as much as the first. Always go through you animal alphabet. That's what we did. hehehe :-)