Friday, October 9, 2009

The Departure

On Sunday morning I woke up early and headed to the airport with my parents in tow. Their time visiting was over and it was time for them to return to their home far far away. My parents nor I were looking forward to the separation after such great quality time together over the past weeks.

When we were pulling into the Charles de Gaulle airport, there was a line of fire trucks pulling in, right in front of us. The emergency vehicles were in no rush, but 7-10 ten trucks pulled in none the less. I headed inside to save my parents a spot inline while they unloaded their luggage. Once inside the check in area- I was evacuated from the area with everyone else who was standing in line. Apparently a bag had been left unattended and required extraction in case it was armed.



This was the third time I had been evacuated out of a section of CDG due to unattended luggage. However, this was the first time I was pushed back outside the sliding glass doors of the check in area, while everyone standing outside the check in doors stood their anxious like a Mervyn’s sale saying, ‘Open. Open. Open.’

An hour later the flood gates of the check in doors were re-opened and a rush of chaos and people headed inside to get a spot to check in. My parent’s flight was scheduled to take off in ten minutes. While they had to get in the check-in line, I tell them I will be right back. I head to starbucks to get some drinks, I knew it would be a long wait and we were all in need of caffeine this morning. When I search for my parents in line, they are missing. I begin to walk towards the front counter and see my mom standing their crying, thinking I had disappeared, and that she would have to leave without saying goodbye. I walk up to my mom and give her a big hug and assure her I am fine.

My parents missed their flight and are now being re-booked to another flight. There is only one more flight leaving this morning to the U.S. and it’s headed to D.C. Passengers booked on the D.C. flight are being offered: Free tickets for their flight, a hotel room, and 800 Euros per person willing to allow other passengers who missed their flights on to the D.C. flight. (Seriously! Who would not accept this offer? What could you possibly have to do that day that would earn you 800 dollars and free plane tickets!?!?) My parents decide the possibility of making the D.C. flight is slim and decide to take a flight the next day. This makes my mom very excited that for one more day she gets to stay.

Of all the days I spent with my parents I think this day just might be my favorite. It was so unexpected and wonderful. After driving back to my place after missing their flight we just hung out together. There were no tours. There were no sights. It was just resting and being together. We hung out down by the Seine, my mom cooked dinner (just might be my favorite meal from the whole trip), and we watched a movie together. It was nice and peaceful and a perfect way to end the trip for the second time.

The next day taking my parents to the airport once again it was easy for me to say goodbye. Yes I was sad to see them go, but I knew I would be okay. Having my parents around giving me love and comfort helped give me a boost of perseverance for my time remaining and the care I needed to fix my tired spirit. All the moments of laughing, cuddling, enjoying life together empowered me to have the strength, capacity, and the confidence to finish strong my second half of my stay here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful....

Miss Angie said...

It's good that they were able to boost you up and make you feel better about being There! Hope everything stays well!

Musings of the Mrs. said...

The best days together are always the unexpected ones. Love this post!

ashly said...

awwwwwwwwwww!