Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Girl Trip Day One

In honor of celebrating my 25th birthday I headed to London with my four best friends- Ashly, Andrea, Brigitte, and Cynthia. Due to the minor fact that I live in France, I really don’t get to hangout with my girls quite like I used to. (That whole distance thing can be a bit of an obstacle.) But, because I have the best friends in the world that a girl could ever ask for (and I can say that cause I am on the other side of the world so I know it’s really true) Ashly and Andrea pitched in to buy me a ticket to see Britney in London, and when Brigitte and Cynthia saw Britney in Anaheim, Ca they kept me in their sprits and photo shopped me into their pictures. (I told you they were the best.)

Can you believe they get even better than just buying tickets and photo shopping??? Well trust me they do, and here is the proof: They even came with me on my trip to London! I was so excited to have my friends with me touring around London. It was the best reunion and way I could have ever spent celebrating my 25th!

Below you will find day one of our three days worth of London adventures, excursions, and fun!

The girls first met me in Paris where we then together flew over to London- here we are waiting for our flight to board.



Once on the plane it was time to get all buckeled up.





When we arrived at Luton airport we had to take a bus into the city- turns out London is very green and the girls enjoyed looking out the window as we leisurely drove into the center of the city.





We had a bit of time to kill before we could check into our hostel so we had our priorities- first eat! And second tour. We took the tube to the Notting hill station and found the cutest little resturant to rest and eat some food. This resturant served lots of fresh salads, tartines, quiches, soups, and beautifufl desserts.



After placing our order we sat around and chatted for a little bit catching up on all the time we have missed. We loved the wooden tables and the beautiful fresh flowers on our table. It was so refreshing to be in a calm environment catching up with my best girls.



Oh la la our food has arrived. Yum! toast with Camenbaret walnuts and pears. Delish! Loved the pretty presentation.



After resting up a bit and enjoying our lunch we headed into Notting Hill. My favorite movie is Notting Hill so this was a must see for me while in London. Portobello Road is exactly how Hugh Grant describes it in the movie. There are tons of great antique shops, there are some great clothes stores, and our favorite store front was the extreem hair and makeup center. We were not brave enough to go in and get makeovers. The best part of this street was that all of the store fronts on this street were painted different colors bringing each store to life in an orignial and vibrant way.







After enjoying the lovely Portobello Rd, we decided we were tired of being turtles and carrying our backpacks around and decided to go check in at our hostel. We stayed at a hostel called "The Generator". The Generator is basically a state school college dorm. Filled with Bright colors and around 800 travelers staying at one time. It was insane how many people were continually coming and going. But you can't beat a room for 15 a night so we were sold on this deal. We were upgraded from a 10 girls room to a 4 girls room and stayed with two girls traveling from the U.S. and another girl from Australia who just finished a 4 week tour of all of Europe.



My favorite part of checking in was that the Generator held the Golden ticket. Better known as my Britney Spears ticket!!! I was very nervous about my Britney ticket because 4 days before the concert I still had no ticket in hand even though I had ordered it two months previously. I was hoping it would have been delievered by the time I arrived at the hostel and it happened to arrive one hour before we did. phew.



Brigitte and Cynthia's favorite part of check in was the Happy Hour sign.



Ashly and Andrea's favorite part of check in was getting the chance to lay down and rest for a few moments before I made them trek the remaining day around London.



After getting settled in, we headed to the Westminster Abby area to just walk around and get adjusted to the city. We absoultly loved the Tube system. It is very easy to learn, work, and fun to ride. The best part was how polite the tube was. Everytime you approached a stop a recording would come on and say, "Please Mind the Gap," in a wonderful British accent. And rather than having exit signs, there would be signs saying "Way Out" to direct you to the exit.




Once exiting the metro we were standing face to face with the Amazing Big Ben! This clock was amazing to see. It is so large and beautiful filling this busy block with life, authenticity, and history.





Then we walked down the street and took a gander at Westmister Abby where you can visit the tombs of the deceased royalty and many others. Along with where the coronations of Kings and Queens take place. Inside the structure and architecture is exquisite. There are some of the best stained glasses I have yet to see in Europe and there is a ton of detail throughout all the halls within this strucutre.



After hanging out at Westminster Abby we crosseed the street to take a look at Parlament. When crossing the streets in London they provide the pedistrian with directions on which way to look before crossing the street. If you were to ever be hit by a car- I would say it would happen in London- I am pretty sure when they see pedistrians in the road they speed up. They must take the points game a little too seriously.





This is Parlament. The sky's were so bright and blue today it makes this shot almost look fake.



For the evening activites last minute Ashly, Andrea, and I decided to go see Wicked while Brigitte and Cynthia decided to go out for the night. We were able to get half price tickets at a kisok in one of the metros and loved having the ability to go see Wicked in London. It was a fabulous show and I thought it was the best Alphaba voice I have yet to hear play the role.







After a long day of traveling and roaming all around London, it was time to get some sleep, we had another big day ahead of us planned for tomorrow.



Sweet Dreams!

2 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

That is too funny. I literally almost didn't read the whole post and instead I was going to run out to Brigitte to ask her when she went to London and how she was back so soon. I'm really glad I read the rest of the post. That would have been embarrassing. Also, so jealous of the Britney concert. I tried to go here, but no one (ie. Kerry my ony friend) would go with me.

Unknown said...

HAHAHHAHAHA OMG I can't stop laughing at this blog it is SO amazing! I can just see all of the French people looking at you like a Crazy American talking pictures of pictures while in London. WOW - CLASSIC Katie I absolutely LOVED this blog, totally made my day!!!!!

Thank you for thinking of us, we had such an AMAZING day in London!!!


hahahahhaha you're the best!

xoxo