Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Girl Trip Day Two

Welcome to day two of the adventures of London with me and my Besties! We are having a had such a blast and I hope you are too following us along. So here we go!

The hostel we stayed at provides free breakfast in the morning. Food + Free= So there! So before headed out for the day we joined the rest of the pseudo college students, in a free breakfast. Serious flash backs of the first week in college came flooding in, when you entered the dining area of the hostel. There everyone was, carrying their trays, and sitting in their groups of friends traveling together. And there we (or me) stood looking for a place to sit. Not wanting to intrude on anyone else’s table, but also not wanting to be sitting alone, in a room full of people sitting together. I mustered up some courage and saw an empty seat as another girl was sitting down. I asked if she minded I sit at the same table and she welcomed me with a smile and said the best English words I had yet to here, “No go right ahead, I am alone.” Whoo hoo Me and my friend have found a place to sit AND someone to hangout with. The girl we met was named Anne-Marie and she is a flight attendant who decided to take a quick trip to London because she had never been and had a few days off. How awesome is that!?

Anne-Marie was amazing and we decided to hangout together the rest of the day. Most of it was just walking around London. Best of all – I now had someone to help take pictures of me and my girls. Every time I pulled out my pictures Anne-Marie would crack up laughing- but it was a better response than the “loony lady” looks I was getting from everyone else trying to figure out what I was doing while taking my pictures of pictures.

We first went to West-minster Abby- the day before when we went the tours inside were closed and today when we went you couldn't take any pictures inside. So after touring the inside we realized that the changing of the guard was about to take place and rushed over to the Buckingham Palace. All Hail to the Queen!







Leading up to the palace there is a long street filled with the British flag. While crossing the street, the girls and I decided to take a picture but we were literally almost run over by a car who saw us as a target and this shot was all we could get. Ashly and Andrea made it safely to the curb.



After watching the changing of the guard we walked through a nearby garden.



Our next stop was the Picadilly square which was a bit like New York Times Square. Filled with lots of stores I could never afford. But it was a really fun environment to be around.



The drizzling continued throughout the day. Just enough to be annoying because you don't want to be using an umbrella but 5 hours of drizzling leaves you soaking wet. So we all decided to find a place to go inside and get warm and dry. We headed back to the hostel to rest a bit and then get changed and get ready for our evening out.

After re-convening for our second half of the day we headed out to a pub where you can get delicious cheap warm food. We had potatoes with cheese and bacon (yum) and and a Shandy. Shandys are a common drink among the Brits where they have a pint of half fosters and half sprite. If you were to have a beer this would be my preference.



Now are you ready for the BEST part of the day! Just wait to be astounded! Before coming I had purchased tickets to see "Chicago." I have always wanted to see this play live and figured I needed to see one show while in London. (Wicked was a last minute splurge) I was also excited when Anne-Marie decided she too would join in on the Chicago fun. Interestingly enough- Anne-Marie was from Chicago and had never actually seen the play. So we took our seats and got ready to watch "Chicago!"



Okay so here is the amazing part- playing the male lead role of Billy Flynn (performed by Richard Gere in the movie) was done in London by: The One! The Only! Drum roll please................... CRASH!



JERRY SPRINGER!



I am not even kidding!



Okay now how hilarious is this!? I will give you a few moments to compose yourself from all of your hysterical laughing- cause I know I am still cracking up about this.

Now come on, Jerry Springer playing a lead role in a Musical? How is this possible? And the role is quite fitting, dramatic, lying, cheating, bribery- it's like he was hosting his talk show right on stage with a 1920's cabaret musical. Jerry actually wasn't quite bad. He didn't do much dancing- and the rest of the cast mostly danced around him- but he did sing quite well, it was just difficult to place him in a serious role when all you can picture is his ridiculous talk show.

Best part- at the end of the show while the cast takes a bow- a small chant of "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" began from a small corner of the crowd. How classic is that.

The end of the play brings us to the end of Day Two. I loved day two. It was leisurely, quirky, and fun. The biggest blessing of the day was having Anne-Marie to hangout with the entire day. She was so much fun and it was great to visit the sights of London with someone who you instantly clicked with. I am so thankful I met her and got to know someone so cool while on my London excursion. Tomorrow is the last and final day before the girls and I leave our adventures in London.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are seriously so amazing - never would I (1) be able to travel around London by myself and (2) actually meet someone and end up hanging out the entire day with them!

Oh and Jerry Springer??? SERIOUSLY?? hilarious!!!!!! hahahahhaha! I totally wasn't expecting that!!!

The Redhead Riter said...

Visiting from SITS and read your roll call message...1:18 a.m. Bright eyed and bushy tailed...Can we change bodies or can I at least get a blood transfusion...LOL

--Heather-- said...

I have never been .. it looks so amazing! And Jerry Springer, i would have never guessed!