Monday, June 29, 2009

Spectacle de Danse

When I first arrived in Paris I became involved in dance classes as a way to meet people in the city and to do what I love- dance. I never imagined that taking a class would have ended up with me dancing on stage, but it did. Last night after 5 months of taking class here in Paris was the student showcase and I had the absolute time of my life performing with the girls I have come to know over the course of this time.

I loved every moment of being a part of the dance show. I loved being there early in the morning to start rehearsal. I loved practicing on stage, watching other groups do run throughs of their routines and everyone spurring one another on. While sitting and having someone do my hair and makeup the way they had been instructed made me feel like a model being transformed into what the artist wanted and that was essentially what our performance was last night. We were transformed into the vision our teacher wanted. My hair and makeup and costume were all things I would never wear independently but putting them on for an eight minute performance and becoming someone else was an absolute blast.


Getting all glamafied! My hair was out of control and I absolutely loved it!


Being that dance is a form of art, people are inspired by many different things. One of the choreographers said he got one of his ideas for the show when he saw a student bend down and tie their shoe. But the two most influential inspirations of the show last night would be Michael Jackson and the Jabbawokeez. With the unexpected death of Michael Jackson, suddenly many of the solo’s of students incorporated many of Michael’s famous moves, and during intermission only his music was played. Second- From the show “America’s Best Dance Crew” there were about four routines that took the Jabbawokeez style and wore masks while dancing. Those who had to wear the masks I felt horrible for, in having to endure the insane heat while dancing under the lights, but for some the routines the masks really made their performance stand out.


This was my first french friend, she is amazing!


The entire day was sort of a surreal experience for me. I have always wanted to be in a dance show since I was in high-school and would watch in awe of the performances the dancers would put on. After college I started taking classes of my own, but never imagined I would actually ever have the opportunity to perform. It’s insane to me how small desires of your heart can be answered even when you are sent off to a foreign country and don’t speak the language. I am so thankful and blessed that last night one of my many crazy dreams came true- and how thankful I am to the Lord for giving me that desire of my heart, while I was here in Paris.


Girls from my dance class right before going on stage.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You look great! Hey, miss you, girl! do you have video of the crumpin'? I'm glad we found your blog. Amy just read the JB post. What a night that was. Bisous!

Brigitte said...

F-U-N! Good job my friend!

ashly said...

"glamafied"

im glad some things never change.

nikirae18 said...

so cuuuute! my fav part is in all the pix you have the total katie face! while the rest look paris posh like..haha

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Looks like you are having a fantastic time as usual!