Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I'll give you a verb

Last night I worked on my much neglected French homework. After an hour of conjugating verbs I was left with one very large headache. I like learning the French language. Mostly because I like to be able to understand and speak to the people who are around me. But I have an issue I would like to bring up and it is … Verb conjugation. My question is: why does every person who is addressed in a sentence need to have a verb adjusted to a corresponding ending. Why can’t they all be the same. I run, we run, they run. Easy peasy! Your option: Je cours, Tu cours, Il/elle court, Nous courons, vous courez, ils/ells courent. And this is only for the present tense on a regular verb. I am exhausted and I didn’t actually even run anywhere.

I will say learning new words is quite fun. My new favorite word is Bissos. I love this word and sign it at the end of many of my emails to friends and family. Thankfully Bissos doesn’t require me to conjugate the word. It just is. And that might be the whole appeal of the word- it stands fabulously on its own. Bissos are little kisses or commonly seen as the greetings the French have replaced with the American hug. I love bissos and I love the word bissos. So sweet, caring and endearing.

I will keep learning my verb conjugation but I do not have to like it. For the Frenchies out there, please forgive me if I use the improper tense while speaking to you. I hope you are not horribly offended if the “tu” tense comes out when I should be referring to you in the “vous.” It does not mean that I lack respect for you- just that I currently lack the ability to hold 15 different endings for one word. But I promise you I will keep on working on it and hopefully, eventually, fully get there.

Bissos!

Note- after writing this I discovered that Bissos actually IS changed from Bizou- sigh… someday.

1 comment:

Alexandre said...

Hi Katie!
I'm just a french passerby who happen to came accross your blog. And it's really enjoyable to read, actually.
So just my 2 cents here, but it's not "bissos" but "bisous".
For the conjugation thing i remenber being disturbed when learning english because i found its conjugation too simple and therefore suspicious ! (
paranoid, me !?) Well actually it doesn't mean i am very good at it ^_^

Keep the good work!
++