Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Faux Pas 2: Intermarche


In general I end up going to the grocery store about once a week. Inevitably each time the person checking me out will realize I am not French but American. This is a conversation from my last visit to Intermarche…

Checker 1: Oh I am sorry I only take cash here (in French)

Me: Oh sorry.

Checker 1: It’s okay

(note: the guy in front of me did the same thing and the lady behind me. Maybe a sign would be a good idea)

Checker 2: Where are you from?

Me: U.S.A, California.

Checker 2: Oh nice. You are welcome. (In English)

Me: Thanks

Checker 2: Do you like it here? (In English)

Me: Oui. Je T’aime.

Checker 2: silent

Me: (now in English) Wait… I just told you I love you huh. Uh Uh Uh… How do I say I love it?

Checker 2: Laughs… J'adore.

Me: ah… Merci beaucoup, J'adore . I then bowed my head in shame and walked away.

2 comments:

ashly said...

even i knew you had just said i love you! silly girl!

nikirae18 said...

haha..you crack me up kate!