Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things...

Girls in white dresses and blue satin sashes,
Snow-flakes that stay on my nose and eye-lashes,
Silver white win-ters that melt into spring,
Here are a few of my favorite Parisian things...

Galerie Lafayette:
If extravagant shopping is your thing, then you need to look no further than Galerie Lafayette. What I would assume to be the equivalent to Saks Fifth Avenue (assume because I have never been to Saks) is what you will find in Galerie Lafayette. This shop is massive. I am not a major shopper- in fact I usually become quickly overwhelmed. But this makes my favorites list because it is more like art than shopping. In the center of the woman’s department is this exquisite dome that envelops the entire 5 floors.



Directly under the doom on the first floor is the cosmetic department. As you go up each floor has its own theme. I loved the displays of fashion as you walked by. I could never afford anything in the place- but I sure can take pictures of it. Oh and on Friday afternoons there are free fashion shows. I haven't done this yet but it is on my must do list.





Picnics:
A sunny day, a big blanket, good friends, tasty food, the Eiffel Tower, or the Seine as your view? What is not to love about this?


Secret flowers:
In the Madeline district, there is the most enchanting flower shop I believe, to ever be created. You could easily walk by this shop and not even notice, which is a shame because it is mesmerizing. Stepping inside, the sweet scent takes you to a whole other world, as if you are in a dream or story. You are not supposed to enter unless you are a customer and you are really not allowed to take pictures. I broke both rules. (the first one many times- oops!)





My Seine:
When I walk down the hill from my apartment about two blocks, I am on the Seine River. I love this place. I enjoy going for relaxing walks or sitting and watching the baby ducks and swans. It’s very relaxing and a quaint way to watch the French families sit and stroll about.





My favorite View:
I love taking people to what I call my secret spot in Paris. It’s not really a secret, but I found it, so I claim it to be mine. It is on top of a hotel, right off the metro stop Kebler. One day, the doorman will realize I am not a guest but someone who is simply coming for the fabulous view. However I cannot help myself because it has a fantastic view of…

The Arch de Triumph


The Eiffel Tower


All while playing a game of life size chess! Amazing, I know!


Laduree:
Laduree oh how I love thee! With your exquisite French beauty, your attention to detail, and your endless supply of all the most delicious deserts. I could talk on endlessly about my love for Laduree, but I will save that for it’s own separate post. There are a few locations in the city; the first one I ever came across was in Madeline (same place as the flower shop). When approaching the shop I saw a line of people waiting out of the store. I figured I should get in line too, because whatever was inside, must be good. Yes, I waited in line for thirty minutes, just to see what treasures lied inside. The beauty that awaited inside, was absoultly worth the wait. I believe Laduree is quintessentially French, just the thought of it makes my heart very very happy.






This list quickly became longer than I expected. I will post the rest tomorrow. So come back if you would like to see and know more. Today's post was part of MamaKats writers workshop of what you would give away in your favorites give away. Now I know I cannot actually give you any of these things through the mail... but they are little insider secrets of Paris that I am giving to her here for free! Should you ever make your way to Paris, you will know the best places to see and go!

10 comments:

Erin said...

The pics are beautiful...you have a lot of perfect favorite things!

Ashley said...

What beautiful pictures you've posted! Ugh, it makes me wish we would get stationed in Europe so we could see the same sights!

Miss. C said...

Your post makes me want to grab my passport, hop on a plane and see it all first hand!!!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Thanks for the peek into your time in France. Love the pics!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for dropping by my favorite things list - though yours is far better. I will be heading to the airport, hopping a plane to Paris, and I expect you to show me that secret few spot asap.

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

Laduree is the best bakery in the world. I love all of your photos. It makes me feel like I am there again.

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

My favorite bakery in the world!! They look as good as they taste. Your photos bring me right back to Paris.

Elyse said...

Love the pictures!! Will you adopt me, please?!

Rachel said...

You have amazing pictures!! :) By the way, found your blog from mama kat!

Fabulously French said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment, love your list of things to do in Paris!

A bientot,
Leeann x