Friday, March 6, 2009

Go long!



In attempts to make friends here in Paris I have come up with a variety of new, fun and inventive ideas to get connected to French community while still doing things I enjoy. Last week while searching for furniture on Craigslist I saw an ad of a flag football team looking for extra girls. I was very excited. I love to watch football (GO CHARGERS), I love to play catch, I need friends, I am in!

Yesterday I went to my first football practice. It was quite the experience! There were many factors I did not take into consideration before showing up to practice.

First- playing a sport and watching a sport are two very different things. I may like to watch football but the skill it takes to run AND catch a ball at the same time is surprisingly difficult. Suffice to say, I fumbled the ball a many number of times when a pass was directed towards me.

Second- Speaking the same language as other team members, would help when plays are being given, or drills are being run. The post on Craigslist was in English and we corresponded many emails in English. His English was so good, I assumed it was an English speaking team, filled with others like me. It's not. Some of the team members did speak a bit of English and would help me when I was confused. They loved the fact that i was from CALIFORNIA and would "oh la la" all about that.

Third- The football itself was different from ones I am used to playing with in the states. This is what I choose as my scapegoat to why I couldn't throw or catch the ball that well. The balls were much smoother and a bit more round. The smoothness made it difficult to catch, and due to the extra width with the smoothness more difficult to throw as well. Which then made me look like the girl who couldn't throw or catch a football. And that is something that is just not true. (or at least it wasn't up until yesterday).

We started with a few drills and then eventually played a 5 on 5 scrimmage of football. This is where all the three issues listed above came to a forefront. If you have ever seen the episode of FRIENDS where they play football for thanksgiving (season 3 episode 9) I would be Rachel in the game. And if you have never seen the episode, you are missing out and you should do so now.

This is one of my favorite episodes and after last night I appreciate it all the more. Every time we went into a huddle or finished a play I would internally laugh and think of how much I am like Rachel in this moment.

When on offense plays would be given and I would always be going long. I would sometimes do a chair (5 yards forward, 3 yards right, then go long) but essentially it was my job to stay out of their way, and for legitimate reasons. When we were on defense we would either do "man on man" where I would cover the girl on the other team, or a "zone" where I was responsible for covering a specific area of the field.

At one point in the huddle the coach said we were going "to cover Zhune." I told him I wasn't sure what that was. Again he repeated, "Zhune. Zhune just like before." Again looking confused just looked at him with a blank face. Then he pointed to where I was supposed to stand and like a light bulb it clicked and I said, "ahhh ZONE!" He responded, "YES Yes Zone! Are you saying I speak poor English?" We all started laughing and continued to play. From then on when ever the "zone" play was called for defense, everyone would look at me and repeat the word with an extra added emphasis on the zoNe to make it clear for the girl from "CALIFORNIA."

I honestly am not exactly sure how it happened, but like Rachel on FRIENDS I did end up scoring a touchdown! And my team did win. But the touchdown I am sure it was a fluke. I just remember standing there and suddenly the ball was in my hands. "I ACTUALLY CAUGHT THE BALL," was all I could think but then there were cheers and apparently I was already in the end zone. Thus TOUCH DOWN! whoo hoo! I think this was my one redeeming play of the night.

I had a ton of fun. Everyone was really nice and I think this could really great a way to meet real French people, and get better with my french. I just have to figure out what to do about that horrible commute. Ugh. Maybe next time I'll score a touchdown and actually know about it!

1 comment:

Tracy McPike said...

I am laughing sooooo hard!!! You kill me...You are the up and coming LT for sure!! :>)