Friday, March 13, 2009

Nutty Brussels

Well after painting a picture of Brugge- I have decided to do a quick, quirky and fun tour of Brussels or what I saw of Brussels. When first arriving it was wet and cold. Our Hostel was supposed to be near the Grand square and after 2 hours of walking we found our hostel. They told us to come back at four. When we arrived back at four they said that we needed to walk back to the grand square (a 10 minute walk) and we will find our room on one of the side streets. It was right there all along.


The chocolate in Belgium is amazing, but even better are the Belgium waffles with chocolate on them!


If that isn't enough food yet then go for some french fries. French fries actually came from Belgium not France. They are quite delicious. One thing I have found interesting, is that Europeans tend to eat their french fries with mayonnaise rather than ketchup. Now I will admit to loving Ranch with my fair share of fries (it's the best) but there is just something about eating fries with mayonnaise that makes me think you are just asking to die.


In Brussels, one of the most popular points of interest is the Peeing boy. Throughout the year local towns people will make miniature outfits for the boy with a strategically placed hole to ensure he is still able to do his thing. I am not sure how this statue came about - there were various reasons but it's cute and funny and thus you take a picture.


Everyday I was in Brussels this cute man came out and sang a variety of songs. He reminded me of my friend Scott back at home so I would often sit near a cafe where I could listen to him play. However- I was able to quickly learn his routine set- he sticks to about a variety of 5-8 songs. I suppose it is a touristy area and he doesn't expect people to be around to catch on.


On Sunday I stopped by the open market and couldn't resist taking plenty of pictures of the beautiful Tulips.


Of course you can't go to Belgium without having some of their delicious chocolates.(yes I am talking about chocolate again!) These truffles were quite amazing. I am still enjoying the ones I bought for home. There were many different varieties and the smell alone of all this chocolate was enough- but they are way more fun to eat and savor.


I really enjoyed Belgium. It really was a lot of fun. I took a few pictures you might think are dumb, but you won't cause you are my chum. I ate so much I can now feel it on my bum. But I don't really care cause everything in Belgium was Yum!

No comments: