Monday, March 23, 2009

YES!

This weekend all I wanted to do was be lazy. However, there is a guilt that sweeps over you when you just want to veg out, watch movies and be lazy when you live in a foreign country. So after a long internal debate I decided it was time to hop on the metro and head into town. The weekend was good and later I will share my weekend excursions but what I really want to share today is the most amazing news that has happened to me since arriving to Paris. This morning while heading out to go to French lessons I decided to check my mail. I have been waiting 3 months for my garage clicker and before asking once again- I thought I should check to see if it was in my mailbox.

When I opened my mailbox to my surprise, I had a letter from home! I immediately recognized the hand writing of my friend Brigitte! I started laughing out of joy to have a letter from my friend. I stood there for a moment trying to decide if I should open it now, or wait till later, when I could sit and savor whatever was in my envelope of surprise. I decided curiosity would prevail, rather than patience and I wanted to see what my friend sent me. I was so excited I quickly opened the envelope to find an adorable picture of Brigitte and Mike’s engagement! I cheered out of joy that she was now sending out her engagement announcements, and smiled that she thought to send one to me across the Atlantic.

After adoring the picture of her engagement ,I pulled out the extra sheet of paper and immediately started jumping up and down and shouting out of joy. The conservative French walking by must have thought I was crazy. But I didn’t care. I was so excited and overwhelmed with love and joy at what the extra page had said. “Katie, will you be a bridesmaid in our wedding!?”



WHAT?!?! I was asked to be a Bridesmaid!?!?!?! Shocked in disbelief, yet filled with such utter joy I was unable to contain my shouts of excitement and tears of joy all at the same time. I am so excited to be there the day that Brigitte and Mike take their marriage vows. I have had so much fun communicating with Brigitte about all the wedding details. Whenever I walk the streets of Paris and see something that resembles a wedding I think of her and all the excitement and fun details she gets to plan. I am so honored that she would ask me to be a part of this!

After calming myself down. I quickly ran to my car- and put on Britney’s “Toxic” to jam out in honor of my invitation, and celebration of Brigitte's big day. During the 45 minute drive to French lessons I would occasionally burst out in joyous screams, once again overwhelmed.

This weekend I was a bit homesick and missing all my friends and family back at home. This came at the perfect time. It made me happy knowing that I am still thought of at home, and that I can still be a part of great moments of celebration all the way from Paris. I have been smiling all day long- my cheecks are killing me. But I cannot stop myself from smiling at how excited I am, and how loved I feel.


Brigitte- I can’t wait to be a bridesmaid in your wedding! EEEK!

3 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

you are so funny! EEEEK!

Emily Catherine said...

isn't the picture precious? haha, Toxic was the perfect choice.

Anonymous said...

i cried.