Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pain, Vin, Fromage

A few nights ago we went out to dinner to celebrate a birthday. We went to this restaurant called Pain, Vin, Fromage. That is exactly what you will find on the menu at this restaurant. Bread Wine and cheese. I was unsure that a plate of cheese could be filing enough for dinner but I was quickly proved wrong.



Once walking into the restaurant you enter a very small room where the walls are covered with old large cow bells, baskets and french decor. On the right there are cobblestone steps that lead you down to a room that has a few small caves with tables. The walls are made of old stone while the lighting is dim, and enchanting.


On the Menu they have a map of France and based upon different regions of France they list 7 types of cheese that come from the region. Each plate has a range of soft to hard chesse. On two of the plates were ramekins of walnuts and on the third plate there was a ramekin of honey. For your reference Cheese + honey = amazing! They also had cheese fondue and other great all cheese and bread meal options. Next time I am totally going for the fondue it looked incredibly delicious.


To assist you in knowing the type of cheese you were eating they placed small flags in each piece. My favorites I cannot remember the name of but there was one cheese that had thyme on the outside and the texture was like a Brie. I think all the cheese here looks like Brie but the French quickly correct me that there are major differences between are their identical looking cheeses.


The perfect accomanyingment to cheese is Wine. Red wine preferably. Before France I didn't like wine or cheese. But they go perfectly together. It's like the sophisticated version of peanut butter and Jelly.


After sampling 21 types of cheeses- and eating in one sitting more cheese than I have ever eaten in my entire life we were offered dessert. On the dessert menu there was only one option and that option should have been obvious- but it didn't click until the plate was pressented to me. For dessert we had:

CHEESECAKE!

I think the Biola Cheese Club should take a field trip and come and give this resturant a try.

2 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

I think I would come to France just to come to this restraunt. I could live on cheese bread and wine. Easily and without any effort. Especially multiple cheeses. If a cheese platter is ever offered when I am out to dinner, I order it. No matter what. I need this place to come to Vista. What are the chances?

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Oh yeah..I got your post card. Thanks! I am jealous of your travels every day and am SO GLAD you are blogging about it. Rich wants to read it too, so I am giving him the link.