Thursday, April 9, 2009

A ballet!

A Ballet! A ballet in Paris! Man on man is that a call for excitement! There are two opera houses in Paris. The first is older, called the Palais Garnier, and the newer more modern location, is the Opera Bastille. You can get tickets to a ballet or opera from prices ranging from 5 Euros to 200 Euros depending on the seat of your show. When my friends coming into town mentioned that they would like to go to the ballet, I couldn’t have been more thrilled.

(Palais Garnier)


(Opera Bastille)



I have always loved dance. Ballet was my first exposure to dancing. At four years old, my mom placed me in ballet classes, but I was not the most graceful dancer. In fact, I remember one time in class, we told to dance on our own, while pretending we were in a bubble. This was an exercise created to reinforce creativity and grace, independent of instruction. I danced freely and with great passion enjoying every moment while using music and motion to express my childhood joy. However, while dancing around I was not quite so fragile with my bubble. While dancing with great fervor, I started to do a spin followed by a jump which tumbled into a summersault. After my fumble on the floor, the teacher remarked, “Oh well! I think Katie just burst her bubble.” I was not one for poise and composure- but for action and large motions. Though at a young age it was apparent I would never be the prima ballerina- I always loved the art of dance in all forms.

(Me with my ticket)


Sitting in the seats last night, waiting for the show to begin, my stomach swirled with joy and anticipation. I loved listening to the hum of the audience, talking among themselves, with the expectancy of the show to start. In the back ground, you could hear the oboe and piccolo tune their instruments. The seats began to fill in and the clock ticked closer to the curtain call time of 7:30. As the lights dimmed over the entire room my eyes began to get teary in the excitement of what I was about to witness. Everything was completely dark- everything was completely silent- everything was completely perfect.

(Waiting for the show to begin.)


The first trumpets sounded and lights exposed the dancers set on stage. The stage was filled with about 15 men. Half were standing tall, while the rest had their backs towards the audience standing in a half horizontal split stance, with their hands on the ground. The first obvious observation was their strength. As the orchestra continued to play- and then men continued to dance- I began to wonder… where are the women?

When I think of Ballet- I think: women, tutu’s, pointed shoes, and a guy to lift her. In regards to most ballets, I always thought the general ratio would be 20 female dancers and one male. This explains why last night, I was quite surprised when 40 minutes into this show- there had yet to be a single tutu, or pointed shoe to step on stage. I wondered, how this could be? Is that legal in ballet? At one point, there were 30 men all on stage dancing- without a sign of anything feminine to come. I did not know there were 30 male ballet dancers in the world! Let alone have them all on one stage, for one show.

Shortly after giving up hope of ever having a swan emerge from the sea of ballet men- a light blue leotard, pointed shoes and a tutu appeared. The ballerina’s have now entered the ballet. The men had strength and power, but the women had grace and beauty. The show played out beautifully. I never cease being amazed by the girls standing on point. I love when the women are carried with ease across the stage. I am in awe when a girl is passed back and forth with poise and ease between two male dancers, while doing arabesques and clinging to each in passion and emotion that envelope the audience.

(Gustave Mahler's Thrid Symphony)


The name of the ballet I saw was “Gustav Maller’s Third Symphony.” It was an excellent performance – portraying the six stages of experiences of life. While I am here in Paris I hope to return to the ballet. I loved everything about last night. I loved getting dressed up, I loved being in the theatre, I loved the entire show. But my favorite part was being a witness to so many hopes and dreams coming true. While watching the ballet I kept thinking about how the people on stage were living their dream. At one point and time they were just like me- a child in a beginner’s ballet class. The difference being, they continued to take classes, sacrificed social activities, and gave an endless amount of time, devotion, and money in pursuit of one thing- their dream of dancing on stage. was captivated by the beauty of the movement and motion , I was wrapped up in the story unfolding , and I was encouraged by the dedication and devotion displayed by the dancers on stage. I loved the Ballet.

(The Dream Makers)

2 comments:

Emily Catherine said...

Please please please can we go together? I love ballet. I took it for 8 years but dropped out just before pointe. Now, I am getting back into it, having to start at the beginning again and work my way up. I'll get there. Pointe shall be mine someday.

Katie said...

Totally! I would love to go to another Ballet with you. I really want to go to one at the Palais Garnier- I imagine it being amazing in there! It's a must!