Saturday, April 18, 2009

Procrastination

What is it about the necessity to get something finished that makes it so unappealing? I came into the office today to work on my French homework. My assignments should have taken me a total of two hours- but I have been sitting here for four hours, and have yet to get half way through my assignments.

I really have perfected the art of procrastination. I always get things done – but until there is immediacy I tend to find other areas of interest to occupy my time (ie: writing this blog).

I know I need to have this work finished by Monday, I know I want to learn French, and I know I am capable of doing this work- yet here my books sit… scattered and incomplete, all across my desk. If it were 9:00 p.m. on Sunday night I would be whipping through this work, with no issues of distraction whatsoever. I would know that it was my last chance to get the work completed and I would do so with vigor and great attention to detail. But somehow, on a Saturday afternoon, I am unable to motivate myself to do any more than one sentence per half-hour.

My hope of working on my assignments today was essentially to save me time. Ha! Instead I have dwindled the day away and have a semi-complete work-load finished. I would have been more productive if I stayed home and watched “Made of Honor” and “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” with the audio options turned to French. Thus I am giving up for the day and going to do something worthwhile.

What I find the most interesting is that I actually want to get a Masters Degree. In what I am not yet sure, but I know I want a Masters. If I cannot motivate myself to study my French, how will I ever find the stamina to re-enter the education system and complete the courses necessary. Even the thought of it sounds exhausting. Someday I’ll look more into it but not today- cause today is an unproductive sort of day.

2 comments:

Shane said...

dear daughter - you come by your procrastination honestly - it is a McPike trait through & through - I think our middle names should be manana :)

Emily Catherine said...

Hello my fellow BRIDESMAID!!! ah!!!! I am so excited!!!!

I got your package, thank you for making me feel so special. I am so blessed to have such an awesome friend awaiting my arrival. Good times shall be had!