Monday, April 6, 2009

My Visa Story



In an ode to my MIA blogging status the last two weeks, I have decided to participate in “Not Me Monday’s” in an attempt to get everyone caught up in the web of a mess I found myself in, and how I managed to get out without any hiccups at all. Now I am going to cheat a little bit (note- I firmly believe in following rules) but technically not me Monday’s should only be within the Monday to Monday time frame. But I am going to rewind and actually start with the Wednesday before last Monday and work my way to this fine Monday morning. The setting would be Wednesday afternoon when I find out I must go back to Los Angeles and pick up my visa and this is how the story continues.

After finding out that I would need to go home for my Visa, I did not tell my boss that if I were to go home I wouldn’t return to Pairs- solely because I knew how much I would enjoy my time there with family and friends. I would never make a strong emotional comment in a stressful situation. However, throughout the rest of the week I found myself less homesick and more excited with the prospect of returning to France. On Wednesday evening I absolutely 100% needed to call the Los Angeles consulate between 10:00 p.m and 12:00 a.m. Paris time to get the exact details of what was necessary. I most definitely did not go to the Louvre and check out art rather than wait and ensure a solution my VISA dilemma. My logic in this though I promise was not, "well if I get deported I should first see some good art." I would never choose exploration of the Mona Lisa and Macedonian time period over waiting by the phone for the Los Angeles Consulate to take phone calls.




While at the Louvre I did not wear my boots that are lined with leather on the inside without socks or nylons. I know better than that. I then would never hobble through all the exhibitions just hoping they have a place where I can sit and pretend I am appreciating the art when really I am praying for my feet to stop swelling. After two hours of pain I would never accept the offer of a friend to wear her stockings in attempts to alleviate the pain. I am strong and sanitary, and I would never put on someone else’s footwear in a place as distinguished as the louvre.

After making it back in time to talk to the consulate and be told that there is no other possibility than for me to come to Los Angeles to pickup my VISA in person, with my passport in the next two days; I would never ever make a hair appointment before booking my plane ticket. I would have my priorities straight and make sure I could get a flight and appointment at the consulate before I ever even thought of the possibility of getting my hair done while I am in town. I also would never buy a plane ticket to fly out less than 24 hours later. I would have much more time and preparation before boarding a plane for a 14 hour flight. And… if I did ever have short notice I promise I would never first go shopping for wine, chocolate, and cheese to bring back before packing traveling necessities. Nor would I ever pack those items first and then base my wardrobe on what room was left in my suitcase.

After arriving on a long flight and landing at midnight of Friday night, I would be sure to get plenty of rest. I wouldn’t dare get up early in the morning go running, have lunch with a friend, go to a wedding, then to a birthday party- and stay up to 4:30 a.m. just to hang out with friends a bit longer. I would recognize when I am tired and go to bed. I Always make sure to get my beauty sleep. I would never then sleep in till 1:30 on a Sunday and wake up ten minutes before my family afternoon lunch started. I am always up early, showered, and in church by 10:00- I could never imagine sleeping in so late or not being ready on time for something organized for me.








When I headed to Santa Monica from Orange County to pick up my VISA I would never encourage my two best friends to ditch work and hang out with me for the day. In these tough economic times we need people to be at work, not driving with me to get a VISA. But we did carpool so technically we saved gas and could use the carpool lane! After a hour and half drive to the consulate I would never step out of my car and realize I FORGOT MY PASSPORT! No! No! No! No! NO! I wouldn’t ever forget such an essential document. I could never forget something that I flew 14 hours to come and pick up. I wouldn’t dare or dream to leave it at my friends apartment. I also wouldn’t drive back down to their apartment to pick it up and return only 10 minutes before the consulate visiting hours closed for the day. After returning to the consulate from a 16 hour flight and what was now a 4 hour drive I would never be shocked that it only took 3 minutes for them to place the sticker in my Passport and send me on my merry little way. So much for saving gas...





When turning around for my second half of my trip and restocking my bags with American foods (peanut butter, chocolate chips, popcorn, and goldfish), Target five dollar movies, and clothes I previously left behind- I would make sure I weighed my bags before I left. When questioned by my dad on if they were too heavy I would never reply, "If I can lift them, then I am sure they are under the weight requirements." I would then never have to redistribute the items in my bags while checking in curb side.

After checking in and hanging out with my mom before my departure- while going through security- I would not discover I lost my passport. I would not then drop down in the middle of the line, begin shaking and hyperventilating while throwing all items out of my bags in attempts to find something I had in my hand 10 minutes earlier. I wouldn’t call my mom on the verge of tears and beg her to come back to help me find my passport, and I wouldn’t rush to the guy who checked me in to see if he held my passport hostage. While I have everyone helping me search for my passport, I wouldn’t ever find my passport in the front pocket of my jeans. No! No! No! No! NO! I would have put it back in my travel wallet with my boarding pass- like I do every other time. That is most definitely Not Me and not something I would do. I never forget or misplace anything.

Before returning to Paris I definitely didn’t stop in Pennsylvania solely for the purpose to get a driver’s license, in a way to negate having to take a French driving course. I would rather comply with the French standard of not accepting a California drivers license and pay over a 1,000.00 Euros to take a driving course in Paris. I mean that sounds completely logical and reasonable. I definitely do not have a driver’s license for a state I have never, nor plan on, ever driving in. That just wouldn’t make any sense. Everything I do makes sense and thus this is with out a doubt something I would not do.



On my flight from California to Pennsylvania I threw on one of the DVD’s I was carrying in my laptop bag. It happened to be Titanic. I am positive that once we hit turbulence I did not immediately turn off the movie in superstition and hopes to have a less catastrophic ending on the plane than they did on Titanic. So they had an iceberg... but I had white big fluffy clouds- it’s all relative. But, when you are bouncing 30,000 feet in the air, you don’t need to be reminded on the reality of accidents. I am a much more rational person than this and would never be so afraid of a few moments of turbulence in the air and easily could have flown and finished my movie with ease.



When arriving back in Paris I did not land one hour before my friend Celeste and her cousin arrived for their planned visit to Paris. I also did not that same day as landing at 12:00 in the afternoon go to the Champs Elysees, Arch de Triumph, and roam around the streets of Paris at night. Again that’s not me! I would make sure to get lots of rest, unpack and put everything away before going out and exploring. I would also be much more prepared for the arrival of my guest. I wouldn’t dare go out of town the week before people come to visit.

This morning after a long two weeks of what I like to consider my mini version of the amazing race, I was not upset at all to find that I have no hot water in my apartment. After learning it was probably a fuse switch and testing that theory- I did not crawl under my hot water heater to see what the problem was. After not being able to solve my problem, being on my hands and knees looking at something I completely don’t understand (really I don’t understand it- 1st water issues 2nd- in french = me lost!) While down on all fours, I did not begin to cry, out of complete exhaustion from all the obsticals and say, “God- I don’t want to grow up any more!”

I am not tired at all. Not me,- I have lots of energy and I am not gulping down coffee and diet cokes. I know too much caffeine is not good for you. I am not missing the sunshine, flip flops, and tank tops at all. It was treacherous going home and seeing all of my friends and family. My nephew is not adorable at all. I was not ecstatic one bit to see Brigitte’s engagement ring. I did not enjoy laughing and dancing with Cynthia. I didn't enjoy surprising my friend at her wedding, or having time with friends. I hated giving people their gifts I have picked up along the way. I am not satisfied one single bit with my fresh new hair color and cut- I never enjoy getting my hair done or the time I get to spend with Kali while she does my hair. I did not take one bit of pleasure of driving with Ashly and Andrea with the windows down singing songs I could understand during our four hour VISA road trip. I do not miss the kindness of my Memi who drove two hours in the rain to pick me up and drop me off at the airport, or all the research she helped me do to get my license. I do not miss the freedom of being able to do things with ease, and the ability to figure them out on my own. I do not miss talking to my mom early in the morning or before she goes to bed. Nope not me- last week being home was complete torture.

And I definitely did not take a total of 16 hours flying, 4 hours of driving, and 3 minutes in person to get a sticker with the word VISA placed into my passport.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhh, and I didn't enjoy seeing you either.... Great story, Miss ya already, or wait "NOT" :-)

Brigitte said...

I'm exhausted just reading this! You are so strong Katie, no vortex will hold you down that's for sure!!!

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Oh my gosh. This is HILLARIOUS!!! I cannot believe you had to fly all the way back for a stinkin sticker. That is way too ridiculous. I'm glad you had a good time, but you really did do your own mini amazing race. Wow. Impressive (and I would imagine, expensive).

Katie said...

Thanks aunt Debbie I miss you too!

Katie said...

yah the trip was pretty crazy but it was actually cheaper to still fly home than it would have been to do the french license here. Nuts!

Katie said...

Thanks B! You are RIGHT the vortex has nothing on me! I beat it this time around.

Nicole said...

oh katie..you make my stress relative! lol..I LOVe you and your stories..always make me smile! I just wish you could have seen maddie when we hung out..afterwards i thought oh no, next time she will see her she'll be in hs! lol...she is growing soo fast, i cant keep up! anyhoo! love you my love!