Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dinner Cruise

Everyday in Paris is filled with surprises and splendor. Yesterday I woke up and had no idea of all the surprised treasures that laid ahead. My home church pastor and a friend had come to Paris after a 3 week world trip visiting missionaries all around the world. The last stop- Paris! I knew that during their trip they would be stopping in Paris to visit me and get an update and that while in town it would be Paul's 60th birthday. However, I had no idea that I would be fortunate to spend his birthday with them.



I met everyone at their hotel- I knew I was meeting the two couples for dinner, however I had in my head that we would be going to a local cafĂ© or something of the sort. After updating them on all the ministry that is going on here and how I am adjusting to life in Paris- they began talking about going on a dinner cruise. I got very excited and said, “gasp! You are going on a dinner cruise?” To which they responded, “So are you!” Wow! I thought they were talking about going another night- but I was fortunate enough to join in on this extravaganza!



While entering the boat, I heard the lady in front of me mention that she was hoping she would be seated among the outside tables, to be able to have a good view. I thought that was a smart observation and agreed it would be enjoyable - but I was enthralled to be on the boat at all. As you walked in the main hall of the boat, there was a lady playing music on her violin. I followed the seat usher and as he kept walking towards the front of the boat I could see a round table at the bow of the boat and thought, “Wow! That would be an amazing seat to have for the tour.” Moments later the usher stopped and I realized- We were the ones sitting at the bow of the boat! I was immediately overwhelmed with excitement.



Everything of the night was amazing. The views of the bridges, Notre Dame, The Louvre, the Eiffel Tower- it all was magical. In addition to all the amazing views I was blessed by the great company and delectable food.



When you were first seated you were served a glass of Champagne to toast off the evening, along with mini olive bread cubes.



Our table centerpiece was a trio of white roses.



Direcly behind our table were the sights to be seen - along with two bottles of Don Perrion.



As the boat began to leave the port we were served our appetizers, At our table we had Light Green Asparagus Cream, Asparagus spears, Lobster and Whip Cream.



Along with, “Black Tiger” Prawns Marinated in Olive Oil and Lemon with Crunchy Vegetables. During the appetizers they poured a sweet white wine.



For the main course we had the Roasted Angus Beef and Caramelized Shallot, with Bordelaise Sauce and a Casseroled Thick Medallion of Veal, with Sage-Scented Gravy. I had the veal for dinner and it truly was a melt in your mouth piece of meat and the sauce was quite delicious.



To accompany the meat there were sides of Mashed Potatoes, Ratatouille, and Artichoke hearts with butter. With dinner a red wine was served.



While enjoying all of the food and views there was a guide who would come to your table and update you on the monuments and help you recognize what you were seeing as you passed. Additionally there was continually a lady singing beautiful French songs with another lady who played the violin.



Additionally, there was a guy who went around and took pictures of everyone at the table to sell at the end of the night. I didn’t want to pay 20 Euros for the picture- so I took a picture of the picture.



Next to help digest the meat, we were then served our salad course. This consisted of a salad with warm cinnamon raisin roll and goat cheese. I think this was actually my favorite part of the meal. I loved the salad dressing with the roasted pine nuts and the goat cheese spread on the bread was creamy and tasty.



Time for dessert! I had a White Peach “melba” with Caramelized Almonds. I tried this because I didn’t know what a “melba” was or when the next time I could have one. I was very pleased, and hope to some day have a “melba” again.



Others had Crepes Suzette with raspberry Butter.



And the most sensational dessert, goes to the birthday boy who had the very rich and delicious- Chocolate Mousse, Praline and Hazelnut Crisp.



To follow dessert was then a cup of espresso- or brandy.



Then just when you thought you were finished with the food because you could not eat one more thing- they brought out Mini chocolates and Mini Macaroons.



All of the food was amazing but it was really the company that was great to catch up on and enjoy. Having people from my home church be in Paris, was like having family in Paris. There were many great laughs and stories shared. One of the best moments was when suddenly the boat dimmed the lights and the singer and all on the boat began to sing “Joyeux Anniversaire!” or “Happy Birthday to you” in French and then the Eiffel Tower began to sparkle. It was great sharing that moment with Paul as we celebrated his 60th Birthday. I loved watching his wife get excited at every monument we passed, and I loved being able to give them tidbits of information of things I knew about various monuments.





I had so much fun last night. If you ever come to Paris- I recommend this as something you should do. It really is a relaxing enjoyable way to spend a night in the city of lights, enjoying great food, company, music, and life.

4 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

What a great evening! Looks so fun! Popped in from SITS to say hi!

Brigitte said...

OMG so much fun!!!! I'm so glad you were able to do this! And that picture they took of you (that you took on your own camera - CLASSIC btw!), is GORGEOUS! And my favorite part is that you have your pink Nixon watch! Yay!

Emily Catherine said...

my 21st? yeeeees????

nikirae18 said...

gosh katie..what the life your living..must say Im a TAD jealous! Live it up girlie and continue to take lots of pics! xoxo