Monday, April 20, 2009

Redeemed

To close family and friends, I am not always known as the most cautious, or responsible person in the world. Those are not the first choice of words to describe my personality. They are usually closer to, "crazy, fun, crazy." Yah usually just "crazy." Many of my items end up in the vortex, I live carefree, and often choose fun and hanging out, over cleaning and doing laundry. Now- I always get everything finished- but many people ensure having things completed and then will make time for relaxation- I do the opposite.

Well last week at the retreat, one of the day’s events, left me feeling a bit assured and redeemed from a few of my most recent mishaps. After all of the following occurred and was handled I thought, “There just might be a bit of hope for me yet.” Thus I give you my most redeeming day.

At the retreat – there were two different groups. A staff retreat – which were the other missionaries who work in my office and their families, and a MK2MK retreat. MK2MK stands for Missionary Kid to Missionary Kid. Essentially MK2MK was a youth retreat. I helped with both groups and the events that took place, juggling responsibilities. Though the adults were my priority- I took great pleasure in working with the teenagers.

The MK2MK Group.


One of the day time events for the MK2MK’s was taking them to a ropes course. The course was about an hour from the town we were staying in. While driving to the course I looked in my rear view mirror, and saw three 14 year old girls sitting in the back seat, playing songs off their Ipod that consisted of Taylor Swift and the High School Musical Soundtrack. While looking back and talking to the other leader sitting in the passenger seat- I suddenly made an obvious but absurd observation. I realized I WAS DRIVING THE YOUTH GROUP! No way was I old enough to be the DRIVER! I was officially the oldest and thus supposed to be the most responsible person in the vehicle. How could this happen!?!?! I have since, adjusted slowly to the idea, but it is still something I am working through- realizing I am now old enough to drive teenagers around for organized activities… Ish.

The Three who made me realize I am old. But I won them over with my stash of Mike-N-Ikes and Ipod playlists. ooh yea- I'm still hip!


Once arriving to the ropes course, I first stuck with my latest and greatest BFF (Best Friends Forever) Tia. Tia is 15 yrs old and we instantly clicked. Anyone who loves Edward Cullens and Twilight is a friend of mine. Tia is scared of heights and thus wasn’t too keen on the idea of having a thin cable be the stable support between her, and hitting the ground. After giving it a go on the practice round twice, she called it quits and was finished for the day. After hanging back with Tia- I joined Tiffany and Marla on the beginner’s course where we followed behind a group of kids, that belong to some of the families at the retreat.

Tia and Me sporting the attractive rope course attire.


Now please do not be fooled by the title "beginners’ course." This was quite intense and I am not sure how people progressed to greater heights and difficulties. At one point, I was standing on what is equivalent to a trapeze or monkey bars and needed to walk from one rope to the other while swinging. They only do this stuff on ”Road Rules” or that new show “Wipeout.” Basically I think you only attempt these stunts if you are under the age 15 or think you will win a lot of money in the end.

AHHHHHHHH!


I fully understood that the wires were an inch thick and stable, I knew we were wearing safety harnesses- but there is something terrifying about walking on a wire twenty feet off the ground. I would make certain that each of my steps were cautious- afraid of tripping, falling, or losing my balance mid-step. Walking on a four foot wide sidewalk can at times be dangerous for me- let alone walking on a one inch wire.

Beind me is the swinging step course which was followed by this net that you had to side step and hold on to as you made your way across.


About half way through the first course, one challenge ahead of me, I heard loud, ear piercing screams, of terror, coming from a young 9 yr old boy named Jordan. I am not sure how, but though I was a full challenge away, I was able to fly across and make it to Jordan’s side within moments. I was able to by-pass a child who was climbing on the wire that stood between Jordan and me, and I still am unable to remember exchanging my harness clips, from one challenge to the next, in order to get to Jordan.

Jordan is the kid in the Center wearing the blue shirt. Note this was taken before the finger incident.


When I heard Jordan initially screaming, I thought his finger was stuck in the clamp you used to secure you to the wire, as you moved from challenge to challenge. However, once I was on the scene I quickly realized that his finger was actually stuck between two of the one inch wires that was wrapped around the tree. Instinctively, I immediately tried to pull the two wires apart. Unfortunately, with no such luck his finger remained wedged between the wires. All I could then do, was try my best to relieve any pressure the wires placed on his fingers, while spouting off words of affirmation of how strong and brave Jordan was being. All the while hiding the terror I felt inside.

What seemed to be forever- was most likely only moments- two crew members arrived and pulled the excess wire from the course to set Jordan’s finger free. I have never felt such a great sense of relief, than the moment I saw Jordan’s finger released and intact after being lodged between the wires. The crew members then set Jordan up on a harness and lowered him to the ground.

Now trembling and over my adrenaline rush- I thought to myself- “Well that was enough excitement for one day! What if I am finished for the day? How do I get down from here?” My option, was to continue to do the challenges, until they brought me back to solid ground. After the craziness that occurred with Jordan- I did not feel the need to go to greater heights or more intense challenges for the day. I had met my daily quota of exciting activities.

When it was time to return home, I followed the first car that left the ropes course. I had games to lead that night and needed to get back early to set up. I had no clue where I was, or how to get back to where we were staying. After about an hour of following the car- they pulled over, walked towards my car, carrying a map that was chaotically blowing in the wind, while scratching their head, they said the dreadful inevitable words, “I think we are going the WRONG WAY!” Fan. Tas. Tic. I told the lost driver I could use the GPS system to get us back- turns out we were an hour in the wrong direction.

My co-pilot. It was up to me and this character to get everyone back in the right direction. -It must be true that God chooses the unlikeliest people.



While knowing I needed to get back ASAP I was still following the speed limit of 130 km/hr (85 mph) – especially while driving the youth for the first time- I thought it would be wise, to be extra cautious. I would hate to get pulled over, or be in an accident my first time officially driving the kiddos around. While stopping for gas- Mr. Lost Map Man, walked past me and said, “You can drive faster you know.” HA! Thanks for the advice- next time I drive an hour in the wrong direction, I’ll be sure to keep driving as fast as I can, to retrace my steps- rather than the alternative, of not getting lost in the first place. Thanks.

Regardless we made it back. I got us un-lost (is that a word? not sure). I can't even always find my way to the nearest grocery store so I felt quite accomplished. Upon returning, I had 10 minutes to prep for the night of games I was running for the adults. The games were a success everyone had fun, and I was officially exhausted.

My Crazy Fun Game Night.


I think this day maybe the ushering in of a new era in my life- one of responsibility and order. HA! Not Quite. I would not go that far- that might be a stretch- just maybe. And I would really hate for this to become the expectation- I would be sure to eventually disappoint. Though I must admit in the same way my confidence in my abilities grew on the ropes course going from challenge to challenge this day was an encouragement of what I can handle in life. This day’s many experiences are a reinforcement and building block of the abilities that lie within me to continue to grow and succeed in the many challenges that face me as I live out this venture of living a foreign life in Paris. Though crazy at many times- when required I am able to rise to the occasion and actually be a responsible adult. Who would have thought?

4 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

So, let me get this straight. Today you write a post about your adult behavior last week and how responsible you've become, BUT JUST YESTERDAY, you were back to your old procrastinating self. Hmmmm...

Katie said...

hahaha! Busted!

Brigitte said...

A typical day in the life of Ms. Katie Hickey

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon

Great share, thanks for your time