Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Electric!

As I was headed out of the door of the office yesterday, to enjoy the beautiful sunny afternoon, when I was presented with a great big thunderstorm, better known as my electric bill.

Every month since I have arrived, I have paid around 30-40 euros a month for electricity. That’s reasonable to me. But this bill was OUTRAGEOUS. As I learned in French this week, “c’est Scandaleux!” – “That’s a scandle!” I was handed a 200 Euro Electric bill. I repeat, "C'est Scandaleux!"

Now let’s do the math on this and see if it makes sense to you. I am a single living in an apartment by myself, who is rarely home. Add to that fact that out of the last month I have actually only resided in my apartment for two week out of the four available in a month. One week I was in the U.S.A. and the other I spent a week in the Loire Valley. Add to that, the fact that my water heater (which is electric) broke during one of those weeks- I am not seeing how my electric bill jumped 15%. How did I increase my usage of electricity by 15% when in the last month I have decreased by 50% my actual being in the apartment to use the electricty?

After receiving my bill, I quickly ran to the office that pays the bill for me (I give them cash and they send the checks) to ensure the checks have been sent. They confirmed that I have been paying my bills and then explained to me why my bill was so expensive. Apparently, the French Electric company actually estimates how much you will spend and then at the end of a year tests your electric meter for the accurate usage and then will credit or bill you for the difference.

My meter testing does not occur until August. Thus until August, I must pay for the amount of electricity the previous tenant was using in my apartment. Huh? Let me explain, cause I don’t even fully understand it. Apparently, because someone else lived in my apartment for me- I pay monthly according to what the previous person used as a gauge of what is normal to use in my apartment. It was during the residing of the previous tenant that the meter was tested and thus this is used as the judge of what I will be using. Then at the end of the year, when the truth is revealed, I will either be credited or charged additionally. I have feeling I will be credited...

Today I had someone call the electric company and requested they use my newly learned phrase, “C’est scandaleux!” and find out why my bill was first, back logged charging me for February to April, especially if these bills have already been paid? As well as why this bill was so costly? The response that I was given was that these questions was the following, “My bill was an estimate of what I could have possibly used.”

Now maybe it’s because I never paid an Electric bill in the states, so I can’t say I know if the SDG&E system makes any more sense. But… I would think it would be logical to simply pay what you owe, by a month to month basis. Use more one month = pay more that month. Use less another month = bill lower that month. Or even going “Verizon” on you and having a flat fee each month and charging for any additional use. Their slogan could be, “Can you see me now.” But I am not genius, I am just a girl who got stuck with a 200 Euro bill and limited Euros to pay them with.

Now someone watching my cultural reactions about four months into another country would think I am being cynical and stuck in my American ways. To this person I say, No. I love France and the French. What I do not love, is that I do not always understand the way things are handled, and the inablitity for me to do it for myself. I am okay with you doing things differently, I just would like to understand them. One way for me to understand your system would be for me to learn your language- so I can read. But- if my bill remains at 200 Euros I will be going Amish on your country and revert to candles. There will be no electricity coming from Apartment “R” and I will not be able to study the language you all love so much. So I am not faulting the country but let’s work on this together and lower the electric bill so we can all live happily ever after.

As Enrique Iglesias once sang, “Don’t turn out the lights! Eo eo eo eoooo!”

4 comments:

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Wow, that is a dramatic jump. I hope everything gets worked out soon for you.

Stopping by from SITS.

Jeannie Finelli, RN said...

Wonderful blog! And that header is fantastic!!!

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Holy crap! That is a LOT of dollars if I am calculating properly using my keen accounting skills.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi! I hope things get straightened out with your bill!