Friday, April 17, 2009

Relax

Ahhh Relaxation- it's something many people talk about- but really how often do people do it? This last week I went to a retreat with my work, for the purpose of relaxing. Though I must admit- I didn't do much of that. The most relaxing time took place the last 7 hours, after the retreat was over. What did I do that was relaxing you might ask? I took a NAP!

I love naps! I am jealous at two year olds who get them mandated into the schedules and then shake my head in shame when they cry as their parents put them down. They do not realize the splendor of their ability to sleep for an hour every single day.
In college, I perfected the art of the nap. Unable re-gain energy between classes by running back to my room and taking a quick nap. When all-nighters were required, I knew if you took a nap with your head on your desk- with the forehead touching the desk, it is only physically possible to sleep for 15 minutes thus giving you the perfect “power nap.” I find naps regenerative, restorative, and revitalizing.

I also never understand people who don’t like naps. They feel like they are missing out on something in the day- that there is much more to be accomplished. I can see their point but I can see no greater thing to be done with my time than getting in some good REM cycles.

I had a great time on the retreat- it was beautiful but I had lots of work to do while I was there. Being responsible for activities can be quite stressful. Essentially you are responsible for people having fun. You can plan things for people to do but when you have one hundred people together, who speak three different languages, and ages span from 7 to 75- finding common ground can be quite the task.

I was happy to return home. As soon as I arrived I did the most relaxing thing I could think of- I threw on a movie and the I took a nice 5 hour nap! Ahhhh life is good.


My Favorite Tree at the Center we stayed at

2 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Oooo. I'm glad you're back. I'm totally napping this weekend. In the sun, by the pool...probably twice. I can't wait!

Unknown said...

Katie,
You just seemed to be enjoying yourself so much. I'm so happy for you and the experience your getting. Keep taking those naps...Love ya