Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Joyful Wednesdays and the Goose

Wednesday’s are by far one of the days I look forward to most living in France. Most people love Wednesday’s because it is the middle of the week- I love Wednesday’s because I have the prospect of talking to my adorable, amazing, nephew on Skype for a few brief moments.



Shane is such a joy to my heart and I love him so stinking much. My mom watches Shane every Tuesday night and then takes him to a Bible Study on Wednesday mornings. When I was still in the states I loved Tuesday nights having him come over, playing ball, wrestling, and having him wake me up in the morning. Leaving the States, it was hardest leaving Shane.



Leaving Shane, I thought he would quickly forget about me. I feared that when I returned he would be all grown up, and no longer know who Auntie Katie is. Thanks to our weekly short Skype chats I know, he knows, I still exist.



Shane’s vocabulary is equivalent to my French vocabulary level. I feel like because of this we have a special understanding of one another. We are both babbling two year olds trying out to figure out the world around us. Though Shane gets to play and I have to work- I love to listen to him speak his few bits of new words each week and see how much he is growing each and every week.



Our conversations usually consist of him saying, “Katie, Katie Paris. Katie, Paris France.” He may not know what that means, but he knows that’s where people tell him I am at. One of the times we Skyped, there was actual video while we were chatting. Since then, our time talking has turned into a show and tell of Shane’s giant Nemo stuffed animal, toy trains, and boo boo’s. He tells me how he got his owie, and that he can swim down to the bottom of the pool in his swim lessons. From what I gather from his love of swimming lessons, my nephew just might be the up and coming Michael Phelps.



Truth being, I love Wednesdays simply because, I love Shane. And even if I don’t get to talk to Shane, my mom still get’s to hang out with him, and then I will get to hear stories of how incredibly cute he is. I love that kid, and any moment spent with him, even if we are thousands of miles apart and communicating through a computer, still makes it a great moment to be remembered.



I still really do miss making him laugh, and seeing his face light up when he sees me walk in to a room. But nothing makes me feel more loved or special then when we end our little chat and when Shane says goodbye and, “I love you Katie.”



Love you too Goose!

4 comments:

Tracy McPike said...

You are soooo right Katie, he is the cutest! He reminds me so much of G. And how special you were to me when you were his age...and you still are!! Love and miss you!

Shane said...

This last picture has 2 of my favorite people in it! Love you & so does Shane :)

Fifi Flowers said...

What ADORABLE kids!
ENJOY your weekend!
Fifi

nikirae18 said...

tear!!! I love you and your posts!!